Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Help - 1.2.1 install in sub-domain has broken my main site - best way to progress? 

tempus fugit

Total Posts:  20
UK

My site has been live with Magento since May 08.
We upgraded as far as 1.01.19870, then because it wasn’t a straight forward upgrade have sat there since.

During the Christmas break I created a dev sub domain and installed version 1.1.8 to develop and test it and then switchover to the main site.

Then, about 2 days later, the 1.2 versions arrived. I did no more with 1.1.8 and it sat there happily with a few imported products for the last month.

Yesterday, to have a look at 1.2.1 I created a dev2 sub domain and uploaded latest magento. When I ran through the install wizard it would not complete (could not access the new database with the user name and password).

When I checked the main site it was broken - re-directing to a blank page and a url of /report/?id=xxxxxx. I checked the forums, found some info about permissions causing this symptom, reduced 777 on app, var and media to 644 and the redirect changed to /downloader.

I deleted the databases and users that had been created for dev and dev2.

That’s where we sit now. I can restore from server backups, but I’d like to move forward to at least 1.1.8. So, I’m planning to spend today moving in that direction - should I just click and run the downloader that it’s redirecting to OR should I do something manually?

database sits with my site contents at version 1.01.19870
dev contains all files for 1.1.8
dev2 contains all files for 1.2.1

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Anais

Total Posts:  14

If you really, really can’t handle the upgrade try this and maybe will help you:
Restorings

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community