Magento Forum

upgrade 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.1 memory and now db error

suzyweb

Total Posts:  3

I have been trying to get the newest version of Magento running since last night. I tried the upgrade through Magento Connect. I got a memory error. I tried again and it seemed to upgrade without any errors. Everything looked good through Magento Connect panel. When I went to the store front and admin however, it showed the old version numbers. I have searched through countless threads, wikis, and whatnots and it seems I have tried everything to get this to work. When I try to use SSH, I get permission denied errors. Hostgator requires that all folders are 755 and all files are 644. In fact every command I’ve tried through SSH has failed and I’ve tried many, although I am able to log in and cd just fine. It says it is jailshelled or something like that. Is that why? I have tried to delete the pear.ini file and all the tempory caches for pear and var. I even deleted the entire downloader directory which resulted in the Magento Connect being blank and no updates were found. Finally I decided to scrap the whole thing and start new. But now I get a “Database server does not support InnoDB storage engine” error when I try to install to the new db I created after using the 1.2.0 latest downloader. I contacted Hostgator support and they informed me that shared hosting does not support InnoDB. So now what? Do I need to switch hosts? Would Aspiration Hosting encounter the same problem? That is who I am leaning toward right now. The magento-check.php file said everything was ok to install

Whew! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

You will need InnoDB support in order to install Magento. If your host is not willing to install InnoDB, you probably need to find yourself a new host. Have a look at this list of Magento compatible hosting providers. You can see if they have demo stores available to test the speed, which can help you make a more informed decision.

Magento Community
Magento Community

suzyweb

Total Posts:  3

thanks for the link! What I don’t understand is the older version worked just fine on Hostgator and I looked and saw that all the tables of the old DB weren’t innoDB either.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Strange, but I am sure you need InnoDB. It is even listed in the offical system requirements.

Magento Community
Magento Community

paravista

Total Posts:  63

I am running Magento without InnoDB and can’t see any problems. Usually for some there is no real need for a InnoDB use if you don’t need special InnoDB based functions which is rarely the case.

Apparently MyISAM is faster than InnoDB. The only advantage InnoDB has over MyISAM is that it supports row locking, while MyISAM only supports table locking. Therefore, if lots of reads and writes are constantly being done to a very large table, it eliminates the constant database errors that using a MyISAM table would cause from the overload. InnoDB would therefore be a tad more reliable when you don’t mind taking a small performance hit in exchange for not suffering from table locking issues.

InnoDB is often use for caching table for example.

Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community

paravista

Total Posts:  63

Well, according to this thread:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/26356/P0/

InnoDB seems to be required for Magento and MyISAM can cause problems. So obiously Magento does make use of certain InnoDB functions.

Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daynos

Total Posts:  98
Rennes, Bretagne

Is it possible to “translate” a database from MyISAM to InnoDB ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Daynos: yes, that is possible. You can either run the ALTER TABLE statement through SQL:

ALTER TABLE table_name ENGINE InnoDB

Or make a SQL dump of your database, change the table type from MyISAM to InnoDB in the dumped file, then import the database. On a live site, option 1 is preferred for minimum downtime.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Yes, the previous versions of Magento did not check for InnoDB support which caused a lot of troubles related to MyISAM incompatibilities. You will not be able to install Magento without InnoDB support.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vger

Total Posts:  5
United Kingdom

It’s just my personal opinion but it seems that the Magento Team are going out of their way to make Magento as user-unfriendly as possible.

It’s now up to some 230 tables in the default install, with seven and a half thousand files and two and a half thousand folders, and an upload size of 54 Mbs including the sample data.  On top of that there are the performance issues, which no one seems to want to address, and the lack of support for, and a similar reluctance to resolve, the use of Shared SSL.

Our Shared SSL works with every other popular shopping cart.  It works with Magento too, but only if we install Magento in a folder and does not work if we install in the root.  That’s certainly a coding issue and not a hosting issue.

Back to the point of this thread, we were caught out tonight when we updated our demo shop of Magento and came up against the Inno DB issue.  It only took a few minutes to resolve - but only after finding this thread.

Vger

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

suzyweb - 03 February 2009 05:23 PM

Would Aspiration Hosting encounter the same problem? That is who I am leaning toward right now. The magento-check.php file said everything was ok to install

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply as I have just noticed this thread. I would just like to clarify that none of our users have faced such issues as we do support InnoDB.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vger

Total Posts:  5
United Kingdom

AH - replying to a post which is two and a half months old is pretty pointless (IMHO).

I think it’s safe to assume that ‘suzyweb’ made her decision a long time ago.

Vger

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

@Vger: Yes Suzy has been our clients for a few months now. The reason for me clarifying this is to clear up confusions for other users as I have just came across with this thread. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community