Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Enable gzip Compression

myladeybugg

Total Posts:  32

I am looking to speed up my magento store before I launch because it seems super slow. I have found many posts about enabling gzip compression through the .htaccess file. Problem is, they all say to find a certain piece of code in my .htaccess that I do not seem to have. I am running the latest version of Magento Community (1.7.2 I believe) for reference.

Here is what I have in my root .htaccess:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase 
/store/
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule 
. /store/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

You can see an article HERE that I found to enable gzip.

Thanks for the help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

For gzip compression to work, your Apache web server must have the mod_deflate DSO module loaded.

Since you’re running Magento out of /store/, go look in that folder for the Magento installed default .htaccess which has all the compression directives preloaded, but commented out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

myladeybugg

chiefair - 26 February 2013 10:12 PM

For gzip compression to work, your Apache web server must have the mod_deflate DSO module loaded.

Since you’re running Magento out of /store/, go look in that folder for the Magento installed default .htaccess which has all the compression directives preloaded, but commented out.

What I posted in my previous post were the contents in my .htaccess found in /store/. I do not believe I edited anything in this file, but that is all that is in there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

That htaccess isn’t a standard Magento installation. See attachment for what’s contained in the Magento 1.7.0.2 release. There is a running .htaccess and a sample.

There’s a hellofalot more in it. It even might start to resemble some of the posts you’ve been reading wink

File Attachments
magento-1.7.0.2.htaccess.zip  (File Size: 4KB - Downloads: 332)

Magento Community
Magento Community

myladeybugg

chiefair - 26 February 2013 10:38 PM

That htaccess isn’t a standard Magento installation. See attachment for what’s contained in the Magento 1.7.0.2 release. There is a running .htaccess and a sample.

There’s a hellofalot more in it. It even might start to resemble some of the posts you’ve been reading wink

That looks a lot better! Thank you so much!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community