Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrading from 1.5-1.7 via ssh without php.cli being installed on the hosted server. 

anim8design

Total Posts:  4

I’ve been trying to upgrade to 1.7 via ssh but as soon as I ran the mage-setup it would initialise then go back to command prompt.
Found a thread that suggested my hosted servers may be running a different php cli so contacted Heart Internet who said that they dont have cli installed on the servers & run PHP as cgi.

Extract from the other post below:

Turns out that STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR are automatically defined if you run php CLI for command line php programs but my site is hosted at bluehost.com and they run FASTCGI as the command line processor and it doesn’t define STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR.

Therefore the solution is to change the /mage script so that it calls the CLI processor. I discovered that at bluehost.com you can run the CLI processor by doing “exec php-cli” instead of “exec php”.

Therefore i edit /mage and changed line 4 to:

MAGE_PHP_BIN="php-cli"
And that fixed the problem!!

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this via ssh without the php cli being installed?

The alternative is to upgrade via ftp which with our BB connection is about 2 days for each site if we’re lucky.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community