Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do i remove the module “Compare Products”

FP D&M Ealing

Total Posts:  7

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to remove the compare products module?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rosemarydesigns

Total Posts:  15

I have the same question and would be satisfied with just disabling it or hiding it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FP D&M Ealing

Total Posts:  7

Hi, I still need some help with this please?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oneride21

Total Posts:  13

I’d like help on this one too. Please!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oneride21

I figured out one way to remove the Compare Products module box. Place the following in the Custom Design section for the page you would like to remove it from:

<reference name="right">
<action method="unsetChild"><name>catalog.compare.sidebar</name></action>
</reference>

Please note that if you already have a “<reference name="right">" block of code on the page you are editing, then just add the following WITHIN that block:

<action method="unsetChild"><name>catalog.compare.sidebar</name></action>

In my case, I just needed that block and the mini_cart removed from the home page and a couple of other pages so this works great for me!

Magento Community
Magento Community

rosemarydesigns

Did you also figure out how to properly remove the Compare link on the product page?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oneride21

You can use the same code for any page you want it removed from. If it is on the right, make sure the “reference” equals “right”...or if it is on the left...make it “left”. Make sense?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ravikumar N B

Total Posts:  213

Compare product box was removed, but still Add to compare link is displaying.

Can provide some documentation for creating custom design?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rosemarydesigns

Ok Guys. If you’re like me, you may have started with the default code and then started tinkering.

After you have followed the instructions above to remove the Compare block from the sidebar, its still all over the place in the rest of the code.

Here is what you need to do to HIDE the rest of the compare feature. I hid it because my clients are fickle. One day they don’t want the Compare feature, next week they want it back. It’s their store, they’ve got a right to change their mind. So I’m hiding it, not ripping it out.

PHTML Changes to make in app/design/frontend/name-of-your-default-interface/name-of-your-default-theme/template/

catalog/product/view/addto.phthml, comment out:
Line 35

<!-- <li><span class="pipe">|</span> <a href="<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Add to Compare'?></a></li>-->
catalog/product/list.phtml, comment out:
line 77
<!-- <span class="pipe">|</span><a href="<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Add to Compare'?></a>-->
line 116
<!--<a href="<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Add to Compare'?></a>-->
catalog/product/new.phtml, comment out:
line 54
<!--<a href="<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Add to Compare'?></a>-->

checkout/cart/crosssell.phtml, comment out:
line 49

<!--<small><a href="<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Add to Compare'?></a></small>-->
reports/home_product_compared.phtml, comment out:
line 54-55
<!--<br /><a href="<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Add to Compare'?></a>-->

reports/home_product_viewed.phtml, comment out:
line 50-61

<!--<br /><a href="<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Add to Compare'?></a>-->

BONUS TIP - how to get rid of the default images in left and right columns:
callouts/right_col.phtml
deleted image content from inside the block - yes, I just deleted this one. Tried multiple ways to ‘unset”. This way I can put something useful in that block some day…

Magento Community
Magento Community

rosemarydesigns

One more thing…

I could not have figured this out with such ease if I had not first followed the
instructions found in the Magento Wiki for getting Dreamweaver to properly read PHTML files with color prompts in the code view

BTW this also makes it so Dreamweaver can actually do Find/Replace on PHTML files.

Cheers to efficiency!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ravikumar N B

Total Posts:  213

I found the solution for this problem on http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/31976/

Magento Community
Magento Community

MaxOnTheHill

Total Posts:  56
Olinda, Victoria, Australi

Thanks for the post Margaret - your instructions worked great for me.

Wish there was a switch in admin though - maybe a future release??  wink

Max

Magento Community
Magento Community

Martinly

Total Posts:  90

Otherwise, you can disbale it by following the tutorial: http://www.magestore.com/magento-installation/how-to-disable-magento-modules

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community