Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

If you want to start with a custom Order #

nileco

Total Posts:  79
Virginia

Starting your store with an order # like 100000001 does not inspire a lot of confidence in a customer, IMHO.  To fix this the easy and safe way go to app/code/core/mage/eav/model/entity/increment/numeric.php.

Within this little file you will find the following code on about line 50:

$next $last+1;

The “+1” indicates how Magento will come up with the next order number.  So guess what we’re gonna do........give up?  Ok, replace the “+1” with “+3424” or substitute ‘3424’ with some other random number.  Now upload this to your Magento store and clear the store cache.  Next, place a complete order through your store (that means pay for it and everything).  Doing this you will find that your order number is now whatever your last order number was +3434, or whatever you’ve chose.  Now go back into the numeric.php file and put it back the way that it was, to +1.

It works fine for me running multiple stores v.1.2.0.2

This is a very simple thing but I had to hunt to find it.  There were forum posts requesting help completing this, usually the advice was to change the last order ID in the database.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mahae

Total Posts:  1

Thanks for your help on this.  It’s an easy mod.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nileco

Total Posts:  79
Virginia

Glad I could help. 

Since doing this I have found that this has to be done for each store that you create (doing the test order).  Also you can get by without actually paying for an order by selecting PayPal as the payment type during checkout then when you are transferred to PayPal find the link that says ‘cancel and return’.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jensta02

Total Posts:  15

Thanks for this - so easy to do and works brilliantly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vianetz
Guru

Total Posts:  537
Munich, Germany

Changing the order id in database is the better way I think.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anna Varmon

Total Posts:  27

Can I format my order numbers by a custom format. i.e SDF1234-678 ?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community