Magento Forum

[SOLVED] Show subcategories without showing all subcategory products in upper category

milaint

Total Posts:  2

I’ve got several categories, each with subcategories. Each category has unique products, and users should go into subcategories to view a different set a products.

A little confusing, so compare these two setups:
http://www.milainternational.com/us/products/collections-delivery.html (Running Magento 1.2)
http://milainternational.gostorego.com/products/collections-delivery.html (Running Magento GO - 1.7)

As you can see, the 1.2 site shows only 6 products, and lists the subcategories to the left. This is how the category is setup, and what is desired.

On Magento GO, the only way I’ve seen to show subcategories on the side is to enable “Is Anchor” for my categories. However, this has the side-effect of making ALL subcategory products appear as well. (On 1.2, Is Anchor wasn’t needed to make the sub-categories appear)

This is even worse for the “Products” root category, which should only show 1 DVD, but on MagentoGO currently shows every product available instead. Switch “Is Anchor” off shows the categories correctly, but does not show subcategories or allow filtering.

Is there any way to show subcategories without showing all products?

Edit: I’ve attached images of the two sites instead, since I’m still playing with it. The main thing I was pointing out between the two was MagentoGO shows all 25 products and subproducts, Magento 1.2 only showed the 6 products in that category (like I want).

Image Attachments
collection-new.pngcollection-old.png

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

milaint

Total Posts:  2

Well, I got it working, although not as simple as I hoped. After much research, looks like creating a static block for each page was necessary.

For those wondering, the following code is an example of what i used for a category list (uses the same tags as the filtering, so the formatting is OK)

<div class="block-layered-nav">
<
div class="block-content">
<
dl id="narrow-by-list">
<
dt class="last odd">CATEGORY</dt>
<
dd class="last odd">
<
ol>
    <
li><a href="/mila-products/equine-large-animals/endoscope-access.html">Endoscope Access</a></li>
    <
li><a href="/mila-products/equine-large-animals/fluid-collection-delivery.html">Fluid Collection &ampDelivery</a></li>
    <
li><a href="/mila-products/equine-large-animals/foal-care.html">Foal Care</a></li>
    <
li><a href="/mila-products/equine-large-animals/needles.html">Needles</a></li>
    <
li><a href="/mila-products/equine-large-animals/tendon-sheath.html">Tendon Sheath</a></li>
    <
li><a href="/mila-products/equine-large-animals/uterine-flush.html">Uterine Flush</a></li>
</
ol>
</
dd>
</
dl>
</
div>
</
div>

Then in the category, under Custom Design, I inserted the following code for Custom Layout Update:

<reference name="left">
<
block type="cms/block" name="equine-categories">
<
action method="setBlockId"><block_id>equine-categories</block_id></action>
</
block>
</
reference>

I left Page Layout to “No Layout Updates” and everything rendered good since the left column is otherwise unused in my category pages.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community