Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Do I understand attributes correctly? 

Nick Edwards

Total Posts:  5

I have a shop selling safety clothing. One such piece of equipment are safety gloves which come in 3 different sizes and 3 different colours. Each combination of size and colour has its own part number, price does not change. So, to have magento working the combinations as it should, do I create two attributes, glovesize and glovecolour enter their attributes and apply it to a configurable product?

Or, do I just add the custom options to the Safety Gloves product?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hxd

Total Posts:  224

You can do it both ways. The difference is that you can use attributes when adding any product (provided they are included in the attribute set you selected), while custom options are created per product. Another difference is that each product combination in a configurable product has a separate inventory, while combinations that are created with custom products share the same inventory.

Magento Community
Magento Community

VnEcoms

Total Posts:  121
Vietnam

It’s better if you use configurable product. You can manage inventory for each size & color.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hello,

Product Matrix extension makes creation and management of configurable products much simpler. The extension enables Admin to create and edit configurable products with TWO attributes in a convenient matrix form, where Admin can specify configuration for each simple associated product. It creates a matrix where Admin can specify simple associated product’s configuration: name, price, SKU, weight, availability, quantity, visibility and status. This is a must-have extension that will save you a lot of time and effort.

Please check out the full features list at the product page http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_product_matrix.html?utm_source=Magento+Forum&utm;_medium=How+do+I?+Questions&utm;_campaign=Kr

If you need to work with configurable products with any number of attributes please check out Configurable Products Pro extension.

Configurable Products Pro please check out http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_configurable_products.html?utm_source=Magento+Forum&utm;_medium=How+do+I?+Questions&utm;_campaign=Kr

Thank you,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello,

If you have product which comes in variation - size and color, those variations can be created either by means of simple products with custom options or using configurable products.

Custom options are easier to create but they do not allow to track inventory of each variation. Here is the article with detailed comparison of custom options and configurable products.

If you decide to use configurable products to be able to track inventory of each variation of size and color, you can check video tutorial in my signature. Here is also the article which explains how to automate the process of creation of all variations of simple products -
http://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/how-to-create-all-combinations-of-simple-products-that-belong-to-main-magento-configurable-product-in-2-clicks

Let me know if you need assistance.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community