Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why not install Magento files/folders directly to Web Root/public_html folder? 

FlashRope

Total Posts:  3

Please help!

I currently have the Magento software installed with all the files sitting in the Magento folder (per the install instructions) my website is http://www.ricecookies.com. Now that I have everything loaded, I see that all the page links read something like http://www.ricecookies.com/magento/electronics.html - It’s intuitive as to why this is the case, but as you guessed, I don’t want the “magneto” in the URL.

For practice, I deleted the files and re-installed Magento, pulling all the files/folders out of the Magento folder and re-installing them directly into the Web Root/public_html folder. Interestingly enough, everything seems to work great, specifically the “magneto” isn’t present in the URL’s.

I can certainly delete everything (again) and re-install the files/folders to the root, but I hate going against specific install directions provided by Magento. Here are my questions:

1) What are the consequences of installing the magneto files/folders directly into the root?
2) Will I experience functionality issues if I install the magneto files/folders directly into the root?
3) Why would Magento suggest installing the single folder, knowing all the URL’s would inevitably have “magento” in them?
4) Is there a way to remove the “magento” from the URL’s without having to re-install in root and against the Magento install directions?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

- T

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

GoMageTeam
Guru

Total Posts:  356
Warsaw, Poland

Hello,

What are the consequences of installing the magneto files/folders directly into the root?
There will not be any consequences.
Will I experience functionality issues if I install the magneto files/folders directly into the root?
You will not have the issues after doing it.
Is there a way to remove the “magento” from the URL’s without having to re-install in root and against the Magento install directions?
You should write the redirects in .htaccess file, but it is not very comfortable.
So, we advise you to install in the root.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeffcustom

Total Posts:  67
Boulder, CO

I agree, you should always have the Magento Commerce system installed in the Web root.  You’ll lose SEO rankings if it’s in a folder.

That said, if you have a large content-based site (running WordPress or Expression Engine), and eCommerce is something that the site “also” does, it’s not unusual to install Magento Commerce into a directory.  That way Magento won’t conflict with WordPress, and vice-versa.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community