Magento Forum

Unable to reindex store

nuclearzoo

Total Posts:  7

Hi

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction here. I have developed a large magento store of about 1.2m products on my server. The server is quad core with 8GB RAM.

When I try and reindex the product catalog through the browser it runs for a few mins and then brings up the standard Magento error has occurred page. My readings thus far have suggested that it is better to run through ssh instead.  However, when I try this approach I get
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 2684354560 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1013 bytes) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php on line 291

I have set my php.ini memory limit to 2gb, I have added ini_set(’memory_limit’, ‘2048’); to the index.php and mage.php pages but still doesn’t seem to work. I have tried htaccess files with large limits and these don’t seem to help a great deal.

At the moment I’m out of ideas on how to get the site indexed. In the day to day running the site is very fast, product searches take fractions of seconds, pages load almost instantly etc. However, without indexing I am unable to make any categories.

Any help is most welcome

Many thanks

Carl

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

G_Mehta
Guru

Total Posts:  418
India

Have a look on my POST

I hope it helps you… Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nuclearzoo

Total Posts:  7

Thanks for the reply. Followed your guide and still stuck with
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8192 bytes)

Given the specs of the server, this is very strange. I guess I’ll have to look for another ecommerce solution.

Thanks anyway
Carl

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  638

Hi.
Indeed when a large number of goods or attributes need to be saved, backend works very slow, as each time you save data the system re-indexes the goods through the entire catalog.
Asynchronous Re-indexing is a solution of this problem. When a product or category is saved it is not immediately re-indexed, but put into a queue. The queue is re-indexed in the background. This greatly speeds up the backend. This mechanism is implemented by using an extension of http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-asynchronous-reindex.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community