Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

777 Permissions for Customer Upload media/catalog/product

tomown

Total Posts:  20

Hi,

I’m working with a magento connect extension and the only way I can get the user image upload to work is by applying 777 to media/catalog/product + subdir’s. In this extension the CM defines the product. Is this the only way to do it? I’ve read allover that 777 is a security risk but in the case of this folder is it acceptable?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

elspood
Magento Team

Total Posts:  22
Magento

tomown - 11 February 2013 03:40 AM

Hi,

I’m working with a magento connect extension and the only way I can get the user image upload to work is by applying 777 to media/catalog/product + subdir’s. In this extension the CM defines the product. Is this the only way to do it? I’ve read allover that 777 is a security risk but in the case of this folder is it acceptable?

Thanks

Applying 777 is indeed a security risk. Please refer to the following article which recommends safer permissions on your files:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/magento_filesystem_permissions

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

777 permissions are not considered safe as it would make the directory “world writable”. A prefered option is to run the web server/PHP process as a non-root user and change the ownership of the Magento files/directories to the same user. This way you can have your script work with the recommended permissions (644/755). This is a server-specific setting, and there are multiple ways to achieve it. The most commonly used is suPHP and suEXEC.

Another advantage of this if you are hosting several stores/users on the same server is that you will be able to track each script/PHP process to its respective user which makes it easy to identify potential problem scripts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

christinavick
Guru

Total Posts:  355

Hi,

I recently solved image upload problem for product. What I did, I set the folder permission media folder and sub-folders into 777. When you set the media directory permission, you need to check as well the permissions on it’s sub directories if these are set to 777 as well. Because sub-folders or sub-directories is not automatically set to 777 after setting up the parent category.

Hope this will work for you as well.

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community