Magento Forum

A Monday thought…Why is catalog search FULLTEXT using boolean mode? 

MattStephens

Total Posts:  152
United Kingdom

Hello guys

Just out of interest and having delved into the code, I wondered why Magento uses BOOLEAN MODE for its FULLTEXT MySQL catalog search functionality? Using this means the relevance returned is always 1. Using non boolean mode produces ordered results and would take into account the users query rather than simply a true or false (match or no match).

Has anyone come across anything they’d recommend or as to why this functionality was not introduced into the logic?

Cheers
Matt

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MattStephens

United Kingdom

Hello

That doesn’t help produce relevant results though (’A product’ would always appear at the top)… Take the situation you have products and accessories, it’d be nice for products to appear first and should FULLTEXT non BOOLEAN mode be used it would return a higher relevance if it’s matched in more than one field.

I know it’s not possible out the box, I just wanted to ask the community for their thoughts.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  638

Hi, in fact, Magento search is not perfect. Very often a user doesn’t find what he was looking for and leaves the store. Good decision is to integrate the Sphinx search engine. It greatly improves the quality and relevance of search results. Look at: http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-sphinx-search.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

MattStephens

United Kingdom

Hey folks,

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? ... I’m just curious and not interested in installing any third party modules!

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community