Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Mass Update Attributes Causes Attributes to be deleted

samstones

Total Posts:  18

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone can shed some light on this:

I’m using the search facility in Magento to find products with a certain attribute, and then selecting those products and using the “update attributes” feature to add data to a different attribute field.

In some cases, this works fine, the new attribute data is recorded and all is well. On other selections when I try and save the new attribute data it comes up with the red warning “this is a required field”. Sure enough, the field IS a required field, but as I’m not updating that particular field I’ve not ticked the check box underneath it and this field should be ignored.

If I turn off the “required field” option for the highlighted fields then the new attribute data gets saved BUT: It wipes the data in loads of the other attributes, meaning I lose valuable data from my product attributes.

I’ve tried this with both Google Chrome and Firefox. As I’ve said though, sometimes it will work , sometimes it won’t . I’m selecting 20-100 products at a time. I’ve even tried selecting just one product, and can still get the same error on that one product.

I’m on Magento 1.7.0.2

I did have a similar problem with attribute data getting wiped last year when we were on 1.6 but I seem to remember it was a Magento bug which was fixed when we upgraded to a newer version.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening? There’s nothing coming up in the search engines for it!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community