Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

creating a collection of products that share an attribute, that has the capability to change the price of the product

rosemarydesigns

Total Posts:  15

In case this helps someone else, here’s what I’ve learned about creating a collection of products that share an attribute, that has the capability to change the price of the product. I bet someone will find something that I’m not quite doing correctly, so feel free to post corrections or better ways to do this. The crucial bits are in orange.

1. Add the attribute. My case called for an attribute that I called ‘Panorama Framing Options’. The attribute must be set like this:
.. Scope: GLOBAL
.. Catalog Input Type for Store Owner:  Dropdown (so that one attribute can have multiple options, and yes a different price for each option)
.. Unique Value: No (because I’m going to use it for more than one product)
.. Values Required: Yes (Not sure why, but this seems like a good idea)
.. Input Validation for Store Owner: Integer Number (because I want to assign a price to each option)
.. Apply to these Product Types: Simple Product, Grouped Product, Configurable Product (this store does not have virtual or downloadable products, and this collection of products are not only similar the Store Owner wants to encourage people to buy them in pairs or trios)
.. Use to Create Configurable Product: YES
.. Manage Label/Options: list the options here (in this case several choices for framing a photo) and the order for every time this is used. Don’t worry about price yet.

2. Add an attribute set. I called my attribute set ‘Panorama’, because it will be used for all Panorama products. The attribute set’s purpose is to create a new complete set of attributes to go with this bunch of products, so it automatically includes all the defaults. Then just click and drag the new, as-yet-unassigned attribute to the Prices folder of default attributes. NOTE: Keep all attributes that have the little red minus sign on them. You need those. I don’t need manufacturer, so I deleted that one.

3. Add one SIMPLE PRODUCT that uses your new attribute set for each of your options listed in the Attribute you made in step 1 I added these simple products: Panorama Unframed, Panorama Black Metal Frame, and Panorama Brown Wood Frame.
GENERAL
.. name it generically, so it does not seem to be associated with only one product
.. set the status to be ‘enabled’. otherwise it won’t show where it needs to as an option
.. set the visibility to be ‘nowhere’. this allows you to use it as an option, without it showing up as a product in your catalog
PRICES
.. set a price so you don’t trip an error, but don’t worry. You won’t be stuck with this price with ever product that uses this option.
.. find your new attribute in the list and choose the matching option. E.g. - my simple product named ‘Framed in Black Metal’ is assigned to the Panorama Framing Option called ‘Matted and Framed in Black Metal’
IMAGES - it doesn’t need an image because its not going to show
DESIGN - I haven’t gotten to designs yet. I’m just working on structure
INVENTORY
.. give it a lot of inventory if you don’t have a specific number; I started off with 10000. If it is 0, then Magento will force your product to be out of stock and then guess what? This option won’t show up!
.. Stock Availability: ‘in stock’
CATEGORIES
.. Set it to apply to all possible categories, so its easy to find when you add this option to your Configurable Products later. In my case, I just check the Panorama category
RELATED PRODUCTS
.. Well doggone if it didn’t take me for ever to figure out that the top row of this table is a search feature. Don’t give up if is shows nothing! In the first column, select ‘Any’, then relate this option/simple product to any configurable products you may already have made.

4. Add a CONFIGURABLE PRODUCT that uses your new attribute set. From there its like adding any other product, except this stuff is crucial:
GENERAL
.. Status: Enabled
.. Visibility: Catalog, Search
PRICES
.. just set the base price here.
.. its okay that your attribute pricing does not show here, don’t panic - we’ll get to it in a minute.
IMAGES - now add your images
INVENTORY
.. give it a lot of inventory
.. Stock Availability: ‘in stock’
CATEGORIES
.. Set it to apply to all possible categories. In my case, I just check the Panorama category
RELATED PRODUCTS - Choose other products to show as related
ASSOCIATED PRODUCTS - where the magic happens!!
.. if its blank, don’t worry, conduct a search
.. check all the simple products that represent options for your new attribute and watch how they magically show up in the box above and give you an option to put a special additional fee on each one! This is a very smart feature, so leave your option that represents your base price at 0. For me, Unframed = 0, Matted and Framed with Black Metal = 65 (which will ADD $65 to the base price), Matted and Framed with Brown Wood = 125
.. don’t worry about the order that these options show up here. The order on the customer side was set way back in step 1.
.. look on the customer side to see how this turned out. If an option is missing, you probably missed one of the crucial bits in orange. You can scan the table in Associated Products to see things like whether or not the Simple Product/ Option is listed as In Stock.
.. Also, watch out for clicking a row in this table. It will toggle the simple product to be or not be selected as an option. When it gets toggled off and then on, you’ll need to re-enter the price for that option.

Now you’re ready to add more Configurable products.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rosemarydesigns

Total Posts:  15

REALLY important to make all your attributes and simple products BEFORE making your configurable product. I was lazy and found out that its much easier to be methodical and thorough.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community