Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Configurable product vs producct options

niandralades

Total Posts:  15

I have a magento webshop and i have all kinds of flip flops.
this is my first webshop.

i created 1 configurable rpoduct for each flip flop and then 4 simple products for the sizes.
yesterday i found a article about custom options and i was wondering what the best approach is.

i know that using custom options is cleaner in the admin and that it is less work to add products to the catalog
what are the main diffrences between the 2 approaches?
are there diffrences in speed of the catalog?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello,

Here is the article with the comparison of configurable products and simple products with custom options -
http://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/simple-products-with-custom-options-vs-configurable-products

Hope it will be useful for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

niandralades

Thanx for the replies… will take a look at it tonight… .

Magento Community
Magento Community

niandralades

i have read the article.. interesting
i think i can manage it with custom options,

but is my catalog speed increasing when i use only simple products with custom options?
i think it is because i dont have to load 5 products for one.. but im no shure..

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community