Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add extension after running compile

FD CITY

Total Posts:  38

I am close to completing my first Magento site and yesterday I went through a process of optimising my site.  As part of this I ran the compile process, which significantly speeded up the store!

However today I have found an extension that I would really like to add.  I disabled the compile from admin and disabled/flushed my caches before installing the extension via the connect manager.  Now when I run the site, the pages that the extension should appear fail.  I can fix this by simply uninstalling the extension but I would like to know if it’s possible to add new extension modules after running compile?  Or is there no going back?

Many thanks,
Craig

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Steps for using the compiler after a module install. Clear the Magento cache, enable compilation, recompile and then clear the Magento cache again. There’s so much cached stuff that it’s easy to end up running a mishmash of old code and new code, leading to your website failing anywhere from humorously to disastrously.

If your website still has problems with the added module, then…

The compiler is kind of a kludge hack and third party modules have to be written to work with it. Check with the people who produce the module to see if they have a later version that has been programmed to work with the compiler or if there are adjustments that need to be made so compilation will work.

If there are no fixes and the site will not work with the module and compilation, you have a choice between using the module and using compilation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FD CITY

Total Posts:  38

Hey, thanks for your reply.  I followed your advice but it’s still causing a problem unfortunately.  I just hope that this it’s just a problem with this module, as it seems there’s no going back. 

Obviously I want to keep improving the site over time but it seems I may have shot myself in the foot....

I just wish there had been a warning!

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

There are a whole series of things to be done to improve site performance.

After getting all the small things taken care of in the above post (six pages), the biggest item that pays the most is basically to remove Magento from hammering its database and HTML blocks cache on redundant reassembling of page content that only changes occasionally. Since that’s most of the website, barring product changes, addition and removal of product, changes in categories and interactive cart completion, most page content can be cached as full pages ready to be served on demand. This is one of the major differences between Community and Enterprise Edition. Adding a page cache module to Magento should be your next step after tuning Magento’s interaction with PHP and MySQL.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community