Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Where do I start from - Read if you hate chaos

nytopbrands

Total Posts:  6

Hi,

I am trying to work with a magento site that has so much customized in it. unfortunately no documentation of any way is available so even the simplest task is a hit or miss!

I can clearly see that attributes and attributes sets are very poorly set up, as well as site behavior (from the template xml files). Needless to say that editing or deleting any of them will result in an unexpected behavior and having to face down time is always there.

Someone has suggested to find a way to make a copy of this magento installation(we may call it sandbox), use it for testing and editing without interfering with the business of the running instance of magento.

Let me know if you agree!

Furthermore please provide me with any documentation, tools, tips, another point of view may be!

p.s : Our Magento is ver. 1.7.0.2 running on a stand alone server, I haven’t contacted the hosting company to check if this is possible and if they can help with it. Also downloading a copy of our magento and work on it on the local machine doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello,

Can you please, specify - which exactly functionality you were lacking in default Magento so you had customized it? The reason I\’m asking is connected with the fact that even template installation may crash the site, even with default installation. Having customized Magento installation the things become even more complicated.

If you create other Magento installation for testing, you will have to spend a lot of time to make the same customizations as your live Magento has. Besides, testing on dummy magento does not guarantee that you won\’t have issues at the live one and even full database restore doesn\’t save the situation sometimes.

What I would recommend is to check you requirements once again and check the possibility to apply them with default features if possible. This way you will have more control over your store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nytopbrands

Total Posts:  6

I do appreciate your replies. I am sure that there must be a way to do so. My last resort might be a server migration, this way I should have the exact magento instance running on a separate server (Right? ) and I’ll let you guys know how it went.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community