Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Paypal advance double charge / duplicate orders

giggler

Total Posts:  72

I’m using paypal advance but I tend to get at least 1-2 double charge / duplicate orders. Paypal says they haven’t heard or experienced it. Has anyone else experienced this.

Customers usually pay with cc and they get an error. So they try again. However, the first order actually goes through and then the second one also. Magento creates two different order ID and invoices.

Sometimes I also get paid orders with CC, but the info is not passed back to the site so the order doesn’t get invoiced.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tcartin

Total Posts:  29

I have same exact issue.
I’m on Magento 1.7.0.2

One this that I want to mention.... I’m on a Godaddy server. when the site was in development on a MediaTemple server, we didn’t have that issue. Not sure if it’s somehow related to Godaddy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

janellez

Total Posts:  15

We’ve had this for about 8 months now.  Repeated service tickets to Paypal reveal nothing - mainly because it’s so sporadic.  We do notice that it seems to happen when our server is busy and Paypal can’t return a valid response in time.  I’ve actually seen it happen myself.  Either Magento or Paypal (whoever is spawning the message) says the card is not valid.  Order comes through with payment.  In the wild, customer tries again or tries with a different card.  Voila - duplicate order.

We’re actually switching away from Paypal in the next month or so.  We just apologize to the customer now and refund the duplicate payment.  It’s frustrating.

I really do suspect that either Paypal is returning a slow response or our server is slow that that moment and can’t receive a status back from Paypal.  Either way, it’s a hassle.  Perhaps you have better access to all of your server logs (I don’t).  I’d contact Paypal with logs ready and see if they can help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

giggler

Total Posts:  72

That’s interesting about the servers. It could be due to server response time. I use 1.7.0.2 also and it happens almost daily now - once a day or twice sometimes.

@janellez what will you use if you don’t use paypal. I only like paypal advance since you don’t have to worry about the PCI compliance part of it all. I’ve called paypal before, but of course paypal would say check magento and that they’ve never had that reported.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nition1

Total Posts:  19

Confirming this bug with Paypal Advance.
Our website, ver.1.7.02, went live a month ago and we use Paypal Advance for credit card processing. Every time a customer paid by credit card, the order was duplicated and two Paypal authorizations were created. We had to manually cancel the duplicated order on Magento and the duplicated authorization with Paypal.

Has either Magento or Paypal recognized this bug? Does anyone have a fix for it?

Tom

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nition1

Total Posts:  19

I reported this bug on 5/21/13, haven’t seen a reply yet.

Issue #29007
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=15034

We’ve got calls from our customers a few times a day whenever they pay by a credit card (processed via Paypal Advance). It is frustrating as Magento has been owned by Paypal for sometime now.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community