Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom left block for specific product

joez

Total Posts:  3

I’ve been trying to search for this for a while, but too many unrelated results come up.

I have a product that requires a lot of information (several pages worth).  I’m trying to set up the product page to have a left column with links to static pages with more information.  Also, I want these static pages to also have the left column with the same links. 

I haven’t been able to figure out how to do this, however.  I’ve tried to mess with the xml on the design tab, but can’t get even close.

Is there a tutorial for this?  Any help would be appreciated!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nathus

Total Posts:  93
Twin Cities, MN

What have you tried so far?

You could create a static block, lets call it product_left_links for now.

In the design override tab for the product you could add

<reference name="left">
            <
block type="cms/block" name="product_left_links" after="-">
                <
action method="setBlockId"><block_id>product_left_links</block_id></action>
            </
block>
</
reference>

Magento Community
Magento Community

joez

Total Posts:  3

Thank you so much for the reply.  I’ve tried that code before, but perhaps my options are not set properly. 

I am using a custom theme.

What do I set for the variables below?
Custom Design
Page Layout
Display Product Options In

When I have it set for 2 column page layout, I still get all of the normal columns on the left and my block is at the very bottom.  I don’t want any of the normal left columns to show though, only my block.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

The key drawback of default search is the lack of features to set priorities for attributes, and therefore the relevance (sorting) of search results is not very good. Use this extension http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-sphinx-search.html It will solve most of the problems associated with the search.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community