Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Price Per Unit & Sell product in Boxes

ecology10

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to show price of product in terms of per unit (i.e. Per Square Foot). Which can be done by just setting that price in the back end for each product. However I don’t want to sell items individually but in boxes that will contain 8 to 10 units (i.e. 8 to 10 sq. ft of coverage).

So the customer view’s and compares product on prices which are displayed as $$’s per Sq. Ft.
When they add the product to cart the total should increase to the box price. And be able to define all the attributes like min. quantity & max quantity etc ... for the box price.

So the per unit price to basically show the customer in the grid/list view when they land on a product from navigation menu (categories) or search. But when they add the product, according to boxes. Which then the customer can decide how much boxes they want in the Qty field.

Any help welcome, like which .php files I should be looking at, or any forum: thread which already has dealt with this, or a commercial solution.

Thank you,
ecology10

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

raymanj

Total Posts:  2

I am looking for this same solution.  Need to be able to set price per unit

example:
$5.00/ea.
$2.00/dz.
$3.50/oz.
$10.00/25pc package

etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fintan

Total Posts:  6

i am setting up a website to sell flooring and also require a solution for this.

I would like to display prices per yd2 but sell by the box (which would contain various square yards).

Magento Community
Magento Community

RichR

Total Posts:  4

Has anyone found a solution to this?  I could use it as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

matt1237

Total Posts:  70
Washington State

I am also wondering if it is possible the do this:

$5.00/ea.
$2.00/dz.
$3.50/oz.
$10.00/25pc package

Has anyone already dealt with this before????

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ryan Sun _Kuafu
Guru

Total Posts:  317
FL

I had, its not difficult to implement, just mimic the tire pricing template to create a table for unit qty and unit price,
however, you also need to change the frontend template to display the unit dropdown list

Magento Community
Magento Community

matt1237

Total Posts:  70
Washington State

ryan sun - 13 April 2010 11:27 AM

I had, its not difficult to implement, just mimic the tire pricing template to create a table for unit qty and unit price,
however, you also need to change the frontend template to display the unit dropdown list

Can you explain a little more?  Are you suggesting something that requires programming like the addition of a new database table and then modifying the tiered pricing template to create a new an unique method that includes units as well?  If so, could you expand what files I need to edit because that sounds like a lot of work initially to me.

If this is not a programming thing, can you tell me what files your are talking about modifying.  I guess I poked around and doing really understand what you mean yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ryan Sun _Kuafu
Guru

Total Posts:  317
FL

just read your post again and I find your price pre unit is different from mine, sorry.

I think you can created a new product type, let\’s call it \’flooring product\’, and give it some new attribute price_pre_sqft, min_qty, max_qty, sqft_pre_box, make them visible on backend page
then you can rewrite the following methods
checkout/cart::addProduct()—to check min/max qty
yourProductTypePriceModel::getPrice()—return price_pre_sqft * sqft_pre_box
(refer to catalog model config.xml to see how new product type is added)
after that you rewrite front end template to add new product type renderer
display price pre unit on product page, how many sqft pre box, when user add 1 qty to cart, one box will be added

not sure if it make sense, HTH

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andy Male

Total Posts:  5

This looks like the answer to exactly what I am trying to do but I am a total newbie, can anyone give a step by step as too where to start.

I have added a global attribute - i.e case_qty and I want my price to multiply by this for the total.

Magento Community
Magento Community

The Underdog

Total Posts:  2

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/baseprice-modul-basic-grundpreis-modul-pangv.html

That extension might help any body in the future.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community