Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Working through the Design Guide and…

mandrill

Total Posts:  3

I’ve got to the Layouts section and am having problems with the first exercise.

I’ve copied the relevant layout xml file to my new theme’s directory and have changed the required reference from ‘right’ to ‘left’ but it only removes the relevant block from the right sidebar and doesn’t display it in the left.

I’ve followed the instructions in the exercise to the letter.

Any ideas?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

magedziner

Total Posts:  246

mandrill - 24 January 2013 06:55 AM

I’ve got to the Layouts section and am having problems with the first exercise.

I’ve copied the relevant layout xml file to my new theme’s directory and have changed the required reference from ‘right’ to ‘left’ but it only removes the relevant block from the right sidebar and doesn’t display it in the left.

I’ve followed the instructions in the exercise to the letter.

Any ideas?

You need to check design guide more in detail.
It helps a lot!

To show in left, you need to assign blocks , you want to show.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mandrill

Sorry, I don’t quite follow.

The exercise mentions nothing about assigning blocks.

I’ve copied the checkout.xml file to the default/layouts folder of my custom design package/theme, as instructed. Found the relevant section of the xml and changed the required reference from ‘right’ to ‘left’ and all it does is remove the mini-cart from the right sidebar. It doesn’t then display it in the left.

I have checked page.xml (the base/default version as I don’t have a copy of it in my theme) and a block is assigned with the name ‘left’. So by my understanding it should work.

If I’m missing a step then it is because it isn’t there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mandrill

Changing the module’s reference to ‘footer’ succeeds in moving the mini-cart to the footer. why doesn’t it move it to the right sidebar?

Also, the content block that is currently sitting in the right sidebar (popular tags). Having tracked down where it’s position is determined (tags.xml) I’ve changed the reference so that the popular tags block appears in the footer as well, what it doesn’t do is remove the block from the right sidebar.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyjv

Total Posts:  5

I’m having the same problem, will update if I make any progress

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyjv

Total Posts:  5

As it turns out, the default theme in 1.7 does not use the 3 column layout for the home page. In the Admin panel, go to CMS > Pages, and there you will see which pages have which layouts, and that the home page has a 2 col, 1 sidebar layout. Click on Home Page, then click on the Design tab, and there is a Layout dropdown menu that will have, among the options, the 3 column layout. Choosing that, hitting save and refreshing the home page will make the Shopping Cart module appear, but will also mess up the layout of the home page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jombee

Total Posts:  2

Thank you! It was driving me crazy trying to follow the exercise and it not working. I thought I had set up my theme directories wrong. Much appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community