Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

SEO Issue with Store Views

MSchenk1979

Total Posts:  1

HI there, this is my first time posting on the Magento forums.  I am an SEO analyst and I work with the development team to make sure Magento implementations don’t negatively impact our strong SEO profile.

I am seeing an issue that seems to coincide with our upgrading to a new CMS design with Magento.  We have two stores, under a single domain.  We also have a Spanish version of our site, on the same domain, accessible by simply toggling a switch on the page.  The URLS stay the same.

The issue I’m having is that I’m seeing Google trying to access pages of our site that shouldn’t exist.  Odd combinations of searches, in Spanish, in one store view, showing up in the other store view (one store is for people, one for pets, if you search for items on the pet side, people items shouldn’t show up and vice versa).  The problem is appears like this (I’ve changed the name of our site, to protect the mostly innocent.  Hehe

http://www.humansite.com/petsite/catalogsearch/result/index/?___from_store=petsite&___store=ps_spanish&p;=4&q;=keyword1+keyword2+keyword3

I don’t know if anyone else has seen negative SEO issues from the store views and catalog queries, but any expertise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

Magento is really not ideal from the point of view of SEO. Very many obvious functions are implemented not quite right.
The problem is that it is quite difficult to improve these functions even for an experienced programmer.
As a variant, you can try the ready extensions. Check this one http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/advanced-seo-suite.html .

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nancyfromafrica

Total Posts:  16
India

have you tried restricting google from indexing dynamic url\’s which are being generated from magento, here are some of the sample robots.txt files which will come in handy use the one which is most closely related to your website.

# Directories
Disallow: /404/
Disallow: /app/
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /downloader/
Disallow: /errors/
Disallow: /includes/
Disallow: /js/
Disallow: /lib/
Disallow: /magento/
Disallow: /media/
Disallow: /pkginfo/