Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

EC2 Instance Sizing

keebs

Total Posts:  5

Can anyone provide me with any experience or real world scenarios/stats on realistic expectations/loads for magento running within Amazon EC2 instances? I understand this is a fairly vague question, but I am intending it this way.

Can anyone provide any examples of sizes of inventory and page view counts/traffic stats running well within a specific size of Amazon EC2 instance? Any configuration info you could provide would be great too. TY!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hankzh

Total Posts:  56

from my experience, it is not good idea to run a single Amazon EC2 instance to build your magento system.
If you based on that, you cannot benefit from the “cloud”, auto scale, load balance, cdn, rdb....

If you can list your requirement, I think some other people maybe give some useful suggestions.

keebs - 18 January 2013 07:22 AM

Can anyone provide me with any experience or real world scenarios/stats on realistic expectations/loads for magento running within Amazon EC2 instances? I understand this is a fairly vague question, but I am intending it this way.

Can anyone provide any examples of sizes of inventory and page view counts/traffic stats running well within a specific size of Amazon EC2 instance? Any configuration info you could provide would be great too. TY!

Magento Community
Magento Community

keebs

Total Posts:  5

The project requires HA so I was looking at either 2 EC2 instances in seperate data centers for magento and 2 EC2 instances in seperate datacenters for the DB OR 2 EC2 instances in seperate data centers for magento and multi-AZ RDS. I was going to run a load balancer in front of the magento servers and possibly CDN for images. High traffic times have about 1,000 visitors a day with an average of 7-10 views per visitor. There are about 3500 items/variants in the databse with 4 seperate websites at this time. What I’m trying to determine is the minimum EC2/RDS instance sizes I could run that would perform reasonably to see if this avenue if even worth pursuing budget wise. I understand the config of the magento server affects the answer, but that is also part of what I am asking.

ie: this should be possible with 2 medium EC2 instances running apache, fastCGI, full pages caching, etc.

I am a noobie trying to understand the qwirks of Magento, what factors effect performance, and reasonable requirements.

TY for any help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

hi
first of all hold on,

High traffic times have about 1,000 visitors a day

no, if you have 1000 visitors per day and you call it HIGH TRAFFIC, you better forget about amazon, but anyway i see a lot of people going to EC2 just for fun. you will waste more than you profit/benefit from it.

tell me you budget, have you calculated your damage yet?
if you take small instance for admin and NFS/media/ storage, 2x Large instances for WEB, CDN, Load balancer, RDS, yay you will pay a lot!
i think if you take 2 good dedicated servers it will be cheaper for you and you will get the same capacity.

use Central Europe location, get CDN if you want, one server for WEB, one for DB and /admin/, Varnish in front and vuala.
you can get ssd server even with raid 10.

please send me a message with link to your shop and budget, also traffic stats.

and FYI - any shop is HA project smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

hankzh

duplicated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hankzh

From my real experience, 2 medium EC2 instances as magento webserver are good enough to handle your current traffic.
But you need at least a large instance for your database server. 
Also I suggest you put a varnish server(small instance is good enough) before the magento websevers and implement full page cache for magento. Otherwise, magento will be very slow(>4second).
For mysql cluster topic, we try it before, master/master, it is really a bad experience. Now we run it on master/slave/slave case. so it is not a 7x24x365, maybe it is a 7x24x365-5.  I think if you are not a mysql professioner, you maybe had a hard time to setup 2 magento database instances in different data centers. I didn’t try rds with magento yet because when i launch our website the rds is not published yet.

If you are looking for security and scale, it is a good plan built on ec2.

keebs - 21 January 2013 08:55 AM

The project requires HA so I was looking at either 2 EC2 instances in seperate data centers for magento and 2 EC2 instances in seperate datacenters for the DB OR 2 EC2 instances in seperate data centers for magento and multi-AZ RDS. I was going to run a load balancer in front of the magento servers and possibly CDN for images. High traffic times have about 1,000 visitors a day with an average of 7-10 views per visitor. There are about 3500 items/variants in the databse with 4 seperate websites at this time. What I’m trying to determine is the minimum EC2/RDS instance sizes I could run that would perform reasonably to see if this avenue if even worth pursuing budget wise. I understand the config of the magento server affects the answer, but that is also part of what I am asking.

ie: this should be possible with 2 medium EC2 instances running apache, fastCGI, full pages caching, etc.

I am a noobie trying to understand the qwirks of Magento, what factors effect performance, and reasonable requirements.

TY for any help.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community