Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to import 1.6.0.2 database into a 1.7.0.2 database

vriensr

Total Posts:  1

Can someone tell me what the best practice is to import 1.6.0.2 database into a 1.7.0.2 database.
on a fresh 1.7.0.2 installation ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MagneticOneTeam

Total Posts:  253
USA

The quickest and the easiest way to transfer all your data from old Magento installation to the new 1.7.02 is to use Cart2Cart migration service. It will import products, categories, customers, orders and other related information automatically.  This method is highly secure, and will protect you from data looses and duplicates.
If you had already installed version 1.7.02 , it is recommended to proceed with a free demo migration to see how the service work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Yep, Cart2Cart is probably the best way to import a fresh site.  There are some limitations in the service though that I’ve noticed - for example it apparently doesn’t migrate URL paths and such for SEO purposes.

I’m a fan of upgrades myself as opposed to imports, of course smile

What’s your use case, out of curiosity?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

It will take about 15 minutes (Depending on number of orders) to simply upgrade your database. I am not sure why everyone is telling you to use Cart2Cart for Magento -> Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GoMageTeam
Guru

Total Posts:  356
Warsaw, Poland

Hello,

You should update your Magento version 1.6 to the version 1.7.0.2
You can find how to do it here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewreply/429219/

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagneticOneTeam

Total Posts:  253
USA

Hello,

just a short information update from Cart2Cart Team. We now support SEO URLs migration within Magento. So you can switch from 1.6 to 1.7 version and save all your links. Currently we support this option for Magento versions starting from 1.1.x up to 1.7.x

Please feel free to check this page for more details.

Best regards,
MagneticOne Team

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community