Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add tax to custom options

Rich Cleverley

Total Posts:  285

I’m really stuck on this so any input gladly received.

I have some simple products that have custom options that are additional gifts.  These additional gifts are not actual catalog products but do need to be charged tax (UK VAT) when added to an order.  I know that custom options themselves are not taxable outof the box so I thought I would relate them to an actaul product that I created whcih is not visible in the frontend so it can’t be bought separately.  I added teh SKu of this new product in the custom options fields but obviously they still don;t collect tax.  I then thought about using the checkout_cart_add_product_complete observer to go through teh products and do some checks and add tax to the parent simple product.  This works on adding the product to teh cart but any other cart operations trigger new collect totals (I think) which wipes out my newly added tax.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I might get the quote to keep these new tax amounts on the item level?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SimonWatts

Total Posts:  19

Hi Rich,

I have a similarish sort of problem with a site i am working on - see here http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/364853/

Did you get to a solution on your problem ? If so can you share what you found so I may better understand how to address my problem ?

Thanks

Simon Watts

Magento Community
Magento Community

shivshaktibrass

Total Posts:  5

Find Freelance add tax custom options magento Jobs. Hire experienced Freelance add tax custom options magento professionals on Freelancer.com.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

Total Posts:  285

SimonWatts - 29 April 2013 02:57 AM

Hi Rich,

I have a similarish sort of problem with a site i am working on - see here http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/364853/

Did you get to a solution on your problem ? If so can you share what you found so I may better understand how to address my problem ?

Thanks

Simon Watts

HI Simon,

I ended up redesigning the catalogue so the options were now actual products (used bundles to tie it all together).  That way tax was set correctly.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community