Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to set up categories / attributes for my online swimwear store? 

gruubidesigns

Total Posts:  16

Hi there,

I’m setting up an online store selling swimwear. I have a number of products (bikinis) and need to allow customers to select a different size bikini top and bottom.

Customers can purchase the top and bottom bikini as a set in the same size for $80 - the default option. Alternatively, customers can opt to select a bikini top and bottom in a different size (for example, a top in size 10 and bottoms in size 8), but the price increases to $50 per item.

I’m fairly new to Magento and have read through the user guide but can’t seem to get the gist of how to set this up.

Any help would be very much appreciated. If I haven’t explained myself properly, please let me know.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kla0005

Total Posts:  43

I think you should take a look on Configureable Products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sreed2794

Total Posts:  1

I need help updating a configurable product. Is there anyone that could offer assistance? I am in need of immediate help and willing to pay!

Thank you. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

gruubidesigns

@VanquishSBS - No, I haven’t posted a job on Elance. I can do this myself, just didn’t know if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Will have a look into configurable products today.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hi Gruubidesigns,

Most likely that you will nee to track inventory of your variants (sizes), thus I agree - configurable products is the solution.

So, what does the procedure consist of? You need to create configurable attributes for top and bottom. Lets say it will be Top-size with options 8, 10, 12 Bottom-Size attribute with options 8, 10, 12. At the front-end your clients will see 2 drop-downs with options to choose. The price range can be set up by means of superattributes option.
Then you need to create one main configurable product and associated to it simple products with will represent variations.
You can see visually how to do it and find out the way how to automate the process if you check video in my signature. Hope it helps you to get the better understanding of the process.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gruubidesigns

@Store_Manager - thanks for your suggestion, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I’m still trying to figure this out!

This is what I’ve done but it doesn’t appear to be working:

1) Created 2 dropdown attributes for “Size Top” and “Size Bottom” with the options 6,8,10,12,14 for both.

2) Added simple products for each size bikini top and bikini bottom and I have set the available QTY for each item so I can track inventory. For bikini tops, I selected the size in the “Size Top” attribute and for bikini bottoms I selected the size in the “Size Bottom” attribute.

3) I then created a configurable product, but when I go and add the simple products to the Associated Products area, the products don’t appear. They will only appear here if I selected a size from both the “Size Top” and “Size Bottom” attributes.

How can I get around doing this? Any help would be appreciated smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello Gruubidesigns,

Yes, you’re right. You will not be able to add products with those configurable attributes to one configurable product as is (if your top has value for top size and bottom for bottom size).

What I would suggest to do - For example if you have configurable products with configurable attributes, lets say 3 tops and 3 bottoms - you need to create 9 simple products which will represent all the unique variations of combinations of tops and bottoms (note that they will have both values for tops and bottoms sizes). Those associated simple products I recommend to set not to be visible individually, not to overload your store (as those won’t be tops and bottoms as separate items, but their unique combinations).

This way in Configurable product dropdowns you will be able to select top size and bottom size and as a result get the combination customer needs with the price markup you need.

To find out how to simplify the process of combinations creation, check this article -
http://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/how-to-create-all-combinations-of-simple-products-that-belong-to-main-magento-configurable-product-in-2-clicks

Note that this scenario will not allow you to sell tops and bottoms separately. So to them separately, you will still need to create tops and bottoms as separate simple products.

If there’s any easier way, I welcome other users to help us to figure it out!

Magento Community
Magento Community

scottweb

Total Posts:  2

Hey Guys, I am having the same issue! Did you manage to find a solution? I need it to work like this http://www.heidiklein.com/abaco-beach-eyelet-rope-padded-bkini

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community