Magento Forum

DataBase Backup Issue (fustrating)

XjSv

Total Posts:  38
Ridgewood, NY

Ok here it is. I have a pretty simple installation of Magento with about 80 products. the only problem that i EVERRRRR had with Magento was GoDaddy. that means i never had any real issues with Magento that weren’t fixable. Anyways after fine tuning and tweaks here and there i manage to make Magento function on a go daddy SHARED hosting. slow as hell but it runs OK i guess.

My problem is that i can seem to backup my DB in System>Tools>Backup.

this is what i don’t understand because before (MAYBE) when i had less products and categories (smaller DB) i was able to Back it up. after 3-4 maybe 5 tried.

the backup process that i use to do was this i kept hitting “create backup” button and wait for GoDaddy server to move. sometimes i would get a blank page in return sometimes i would get a 500 server error. then when i go back to the backup page i would see maybe 2 partial corrupt backup files of 1 but it would be half the size it should be. but in 4-5 times 1 would backup properly without any errors

NOWWWW that i have more products it dosent matter how many times i try i always get 500 server error and a blank page 1 out of 20 times. i thought i had permission problems so i reset them. (by the way everything else works fine, the backup function is the only problem) then i tried reinstalling the admin_html and the core modules from Magento connect.

there after 20 times of tryin to reinstall it worked and i was able to go back and create a backup easy. but now after a couple of weeks im back where i started it never BACKS UP. i keep getting the 500 server errors again. and i don’t understand whats wrong with it......

PLEASEEEEEE HELPPPP i do not feel like moving to another server.....

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hmmm, i have seen posts about the magento backup having issues. But mainly to do with the way it creates a backup.

Magneto runs using innodb which is not just a straight database dump like a myisam db. you need to stop the mysql db and dump.
my current db is 100m i wouldnt even attempt to try and back that sucker up via the magento backup program of phpmyadmin. It would take forever to run
If you have ssh access i would suggest this path for starters as its very quick to dump the db. via the web interace, it could just be timing out.

If you have a big site, stopping mysql may not be an option, you could setup a replication partner and replicate the db to this other server/site and then stop the replicated server to do a backup.

anyway, your probably now wondering what the hell! grin
Give me a shout if your stuck.

FYI, im still trying to find the right mix for backing up mysite.

hth
brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

XjSv

Ridgewood, NY

Well first of all thanx for the reply i thought this would be another dead end.

I have no problem backing the database up via “export” in phpmyadmin but the file would be hugee and then i have problem importing. I manage to do so by using “Big Dump”.

My whole concern is that the magento bk system dont work and magento recommends using their system instead of phpmyadmin’s default.

I dont exactly know why and i dont exactly know how it will be effected if u dont fallow their suggestion. If you can elaborate that would be great.

Thanks again.

Armando T

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

Another consideration could be looking into where the source of your bloat in the database is.

Have you enabled logging purging in admin? If not, your logs continue to grow without limit (which could make for a very sizable database)

In PHPMyAdmin take a look at your table sizes and see if that is where your issue lies.

If you do enable purge in Magento and let it run, you may also need to run the “optimize” command in PHPMyadmin to free up the unused space in the Db (marked for deletion)

Magento Community
Magento Community

XjSv

Ridgewood, NY

how do u enable purge? are u talking about log cleaning in the system config ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

If you have a very active store the chances are that your magento log tables have grown too large. That will make the database dump take an inordinately long time. Truncating the logs might help shorten the time it takes to dump the database. Thought I haven’t tested it, I believe more recent versions of Magento have changed the way logs are handled, diminishing or eliminating this problem entirely.

Magento Community
Magento Community

XjSv

Ridgewood, NY

yeah that seemed to be the problem the overly excess log tables in DB. i manualy deleated them. it took me a while but after that it was fine db went from 55 MB to 20 after deleting the logs....those were some big a** logs

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hucks

Total Posts:  150

can´t find purge.

is it enabled by defaut?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community