Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Search does not work for seach terms shorter than 5 characters long. 

ibpeterson

Total Posts:  9

When I type in a search of less than 5 characters long.  The search comes back with “your search returns no results”.  I’ve changed the minimal query length to 1 in the system/configuration/catalog/catalog search but it still won’t return any results.

I’ve tried tried a 5 character search term for instance “C5315” and get lots of results but if I try a 4 character search term like “C531” I get no results.

What I’m trying to accomplish is customers use the search to search by part number and some of the parts have a 3 or 4 character prefix that would make searching much easier for instance we have hydraulic hose that begin with 302- and then the different sizes but you can’t search for them because that is only 4 characters.

Thanks,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ibpeterson

Any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

You’re using Fulltext only search. It has a minimum character length which is set by MySQL in the my.cnf configuration file.
Fine Tuning MySQL Fulltext Search

Magento Community
Magento Community

ibpeterson

Oh good I’m not crazy.

That got me to the answer I needed.  As it turns out my web host does not allow that variable to be changed but they suggested turning off Full Text Search (FTS).  But since I like FTS I changed the Search Type to Both Like and Full Text Search and that worked out really well.

Thanks for the help!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community