Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Selling Fabrics by Length

Jeffss

Total Posts:  5

Hi,
Could someone help provide a method for selling by length. I am developing a e-commerce site using community version 1.7 that is going to sell textiles and fabrics by the metre. I am a fairly experience web deveolper - competant in HTML, PHP MySQL etc and I have managed to sort out most of the configuration and installing themes - I am using Classic theme.
However I cannot see how to configure the products to sell by length i.e. number of metres. I have adjusted the relevant settings to allow increments of 1 with a minimum of 1 and inputting say 10 items at £5 gives a total of £50 - so it works in that respect. But I cannot see how to display the fact that the increments are in metres and the quantity is in metres.
Any ideas?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jeffss

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and your suggestion. Unfortunately I have already tried custom options with a simple product - while this works to a point - it still leaves the quantity box showing and live. So a customer could order say 10 metres @ £10 from the drop down box configured to produce a price of £100, but then if they put 10 in the quantity box their total price would end up at £1000. The same applies to configurable products using attributes - the quantity field is still showing.
I cannot believe such a sophisticated product as Magento cannot handle selling fabric, rope, wire or anything by length - there must be a simple way or an extension that does it!
I have read other posts that mention changing the unit of measure (UOM) but cannot see how to change it or indeed any mention of it - have you heard of it?
Alternatively, do you know the file that displays the quantity so I can change the code - not satisfactory really as it means upgrades may cause problems but cannot think of another way!

Any help would be gratefully received

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrploddy

Total Posts:  13

http://www.micosolutions.com/magento-extensions/advanced-variation-pricing-for-magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jeffss

Hi,
thanks for the reply and suggestion. I had already looked at that solution but dismissed it as it was only adding attributes to a simple product- (which I can do myself) and it still leaves the quantity box live.

To clarify - I do not want the customer to have the option of mistakenly ordering 10 lots of 10 metres when they just wanted 1 lot of 10 metres. Perhaps I am being pedantic and the high price would stop most people from making this mistake - but after 30 years experience in retail - I know that if Joe Public can make a mistake - they will make a mistake - and blame everyone else!

I have tried a custom design for the products but I can not seem to get that right - anybody got any suggestion for the xml code for this - or indeed any other suggestion.
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community