Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Best way to handle products with different Unit of Measure in Magento

jqs08

Total Posts:  8

I’ve done some research on this topic and have seen similar questions being asked on this forum multiple times but with no plausible solution.

Take the example of selling PENs. The store received pens in cases. Each case has 100 boxes and each box has 12 pens. Customer can buy pens in pieces, boxes or cases. The store wants to give more discount for box buy or case buy.

The ideal solution is to have the flexibility in the shopping cart system to be able to specify the unit of measure. For example, 1 box = 12 pieces. 1 case = 1200 pieces. Regardless of the unit, all the purchase should be pointed to the same simple item, which is the PEN.

I don’t see the possibility to do so in Magento community version. So I may have to create two or three simple items, one for piece buy, one for box buy and one for case buy. This creates a big headache in inventory control. Also, when downloading orders to accounting software such as Quickbooks, this also cause extra work because Quickbooks has the ability to set different Unit of Measure for the same product.

I’m wondering what is the best way to handle Unit of Measure in Magento. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hello,

Please take a look at Product Units and Quantities extension. It enables you to introduce measuring units that match the type of product(s) you sell, define the possible batches the product can be sold in, and make it easy for your customers to order more with new convenient dropdowns, buttons or sliders. There’s a live demo and a user manual, so you can try it and see if it’s a good solution for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jqs08

Total Posts:  8

Thanks for pointing to your extension.  However, it is not what I’m looking for. This extension does set limits on the quantities that can be purchased. But it does not reflect the unit concept. For instance, using the Pen as example, if I set quantities to 1 through 12, then 24, 36 to reflect the box buy idea. What if a customer whats to order 15? 20?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community