Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Best Way to Do Two Sites? (Public and Wholesale)

joejoe

Total Posts:  102

Hey all,

I am building two sites… one is done and it’s my public site for anyone to buy my company’s products… it works great.

Then, I want to build a site for wholesale for my existing mail order wholesalers/distributors/etc who buy at a different price.

I was thinking of having

public-buy-online.com
wholesale-buy-online.com

and running them as two installations of magento for simplicity’s sake… but having a link on the public-buy-online.com site to the other for wholesalers to sign up there for an account.

Has anyone else been involved in similar projects and could they comment on the pros and cons of having two distinct sites VERSUS running both sites off the one installation?

I am ummming and ahhhhing as to which I should attempt…

Thanks as always for any feedback, these forums are great!

Joe

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

satish
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  812
34,mantri Sadan,Shivaji Nagar,Nagpur,MS,India 4400

1. Similar content on two sites will be harmful for your SEO.

2. Magento has a great Multi store architecture.
So if you want to share customers across then create sites as stores
else create sites as websites.

With Magento installed there is not much need to having two installation if you want just one admin wo handle both sites.

Satish

Magento Community
Magento Community

joejoe

Well, I don’t want to share customers and really, I’d prefer to keep all my orders and admin for the two sites separate… will this work if I make a second ‘trade’ website?

Is there a way I can hide the second store from google? It’s really only for wholesale customers who already know about us as a company. Like a ‘private’ store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nChannel
Guru

Total Posts:  329

Hi Joe, sounds like an interesting project and one that would require some serious thinking about the best options. I can see why you would want to have separate sites for retail and then one for wholesale/distributors. If they are the exact same products, I could see some issues with duplicate content in terms of SEO with Google unless you will be labeling all the products differently for each store. You could just combine it in one as well and have a separate area for distributors.

We have worked with others to setup multiples stores on a single Magento website, where one website can have multiple stores and stores can have multiple views.  In this case, we would use one of our adapters with separate locations, similar to physical stores in different locations using RMS - the inventory is managed via a warehouse.  Which approach we would recommend would depend on how you have your multiple stores set up, but we can handle either way.

Feel free to contact us as we have quite a bit of experience with integrating multiple Magento stores and setups.

Darren
nChannel
info@nChannel.com
1-800-406-8217

Magento Community
Magento Community

joejoe

Thanks for your advice, interesting. What’s RMS? Remote management system or the MS code? I’m not clear on that.

Could we not simply ‘hide’ the site from google and link wholesalers through from the main public site...?

Gah, it’s a big decision to make whether to integrate them!

I notice already that in ‘orders’ you can only sort via store view… not website. Which is already annoying since we’d want to view all orders for one website (wholesale) and all orders for the other (public).

This is essential for the company accountant to be able to look at the two strings of the business separately (wholesale orders are our main business, the public thing is very much minor and on-the-side).

Magento Community
Magento Community

joejoe

Thanks for the link, I’ll read through. Still not sure of the best way to proceed.

Not a scam at all anyway! It’s for a 20+ year-old toys/gifts company that has always done 95-99% of its business through mail order to shops etc. and wants to use a website to allow these buyers to buy online for ease rather than filling out order forms… whereas it already has a public shopping site where the public can buy the products at full price if they wish (and this accounts for very little of the business but its still important)…

They question is whether to meld these two together or to keep separate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

davescott81

Total Posts:  1

Hi

I’m brand new to Magento and very interested in this as it’s exactly our situation.  We are mainly a wholesaler, but with a growing retail emphasis. 

I want us to have two site:  www.our-wholesale-name.co.uk and www.our-different-retail-name.co.uk .  The two names and branding are very different between the two.

As I understand it there are no real disadvantages for us doing it on one installation from a Magento point of view (having orders coming into one place is fine for us).  I think we can just create two websites within the same installation.  The big bonus that I see with this is ease of stock management/tracking.

But I am having a couple of problems in my planning.

1.  We use Brightpearl for our accounts - they support Magento, but only single site installations.  We can have two Magento accounts with single sites, but not one account with two sites.  I prefer one account with two sites for ease of build and management.  Does anyone have any recommendations for accounting solutions other than Brightpearl?

2.  I want the wholesale site to have a homepage that everyone can access with some info about us, but for a visitor to need to log in before they can go any further.  I also want to be able to approve users before they can register.  Does anyone know a way to do that?

Many thanks

Dave

Magento Community
Magento Community

joejoe

Hi Dave,

This is exactly - pretty much - what I am doing… but I am not integrating it with any accounts package (though I have added a user field for our unique customer code)… but I will be exporting customers from our accounts package (CSV) to import into magento.

However… what I have decided is to stick with TWO sites… companytradesales.net and company.net ...

The former is private and I don’t see how it can really harm SEO since google wont be able to see any of the content/products inside the site… it’s just a login page/about us/pdf catalogue on that site… the public site is totally open for anyone…

Does anyone still think our SEO will be damaged?

Regarding your question about how to do the private site Dave… it wasn’t easy… I have used a load of extensions and dread the thought of updating it… but we’re going to roll with it for a year and see how it does. Something is better than nothing right now!

Eventually, I think I’d like to consider integrating the sites maybe… but for now, simplicity means keeping them apart (also, our stock management isn’t an issue… the more we sell the better, with no exception!!! ...and the public site really is a fraction of what we sell).

Any extra thoughts welcomed…

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

marktridk - 09 January 2013 05:11 AM

Your plan sounds like a scam) But Magento allows to create Multi-store and to manage several stores on one cart installation. So I think it it the most appropriate way for you. Due to the peculiarities of such Magento configurations, I had used Cart2Cart service to implement this idea for me. So it treats every Magento store view as a separate store. Personally i have such experience of creating two stores for different languages. So if I understood you correctly than this publication should help you http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/magento-multi-store-migration

Hey @marktridk, I’m not sure why you suggested that the OP’s post was a scam, but I’ve begun to notice a trend with forum posts linking to the Cart2Cart service.  There are a lot of them that are written as though by a merchant who has used the service in the past successfully, but by forum posters who seem to only be posting to promote the service.

I hope you don’t mind my asking, but are you really a merchant?  I checked your profile, and you have 2 posts promoting Cart2Cart, and 4 posts just saying simple responses like “thanks”.

My apologies if you are a legit forum poster, I just had to ask.  I think it would be misleading to be telling other merchants that you’ve used Cart2Cart successfully in the past if you’re really just attempting to promote the service.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cowgirl2013

Total Posts:  1

I am just now getting in on this conversation.  I already have a wholesale site that has been functioning for 6 years.  I just built the ecommerce site.  I want to link the two together in order to cash in on the 12,000. visitors to the wholesale site that we are getting per month.  How do I do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community