Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
USPS 2013 Changes Email

safrindoll

Total Posts:  14

wsatom - 28 January 2013 08:50 AM

WebShopApps have a patch for this, it allows you to use the new First-Class Package International Service and Standard Post shipping methods. You can download the extension for free on our website.

Hi wsatom.  Just want to let you know, I’ve tried the extension from WebShopApps, and found it doesn’t solve the First-Class Package International Service issue for us (I think it’s named First-Class Mail International Service in the extension).

Plus, it broke a service that is currently working: Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box** (in the extension, it doesn’t have the star characters).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

wasdweyman

Total Posts:  6

Any updates from other 1.4.1 users? I’ve tried changing the text to:

First-Class Mail International Service
First-Class Mail International Service**
First-Class Package International Service
First-Class Package International Service**

I’ve also tried adding the (TM) symbol, but it causes the shipping method list to become empty and no methods work.

Also, I did clear the Magento cache and reselected the shipping method in the Configuration menu each time.

Right now, I’m thinking the newer versions of Magento have some workaround with the (TM) symbol that is missing in 1.4.1. Maybe someone could come up with a fix for the PHP file at /app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/Usps.php

UPDATE:
- I’ve tried downloading the WebShopApps plugin and that did not fix the problem.
- An osCommerce user reported that changing from “First-Class Mail International Parcel**” to “First-Class Package International Service**” worked.

Magento Community
Magento Community

safrindoll

wasdweyman - 28 January 2013 04:20 PM

Right now, I’m thinking the newer versions of Magento have some workaround with the (TM) symbol that is missing in 1.4.1. Maybe someone could come up with a fix for the PHP file at /app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/Usps.php

I’m running 1.4.1.1 and still don’t have this working.  But since you brought up the (TM) symbol, I thought I’d offer:

Along the lines of a fix for the (R) character last year, I’m thinking of adding a str_replace command to remove that (TM) character from the string.

In app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/Usps.php:

foreach ($xml->Package->Postage as $postage{
   $postage
->MailService str_replace("<sup>&amp;reg;</sup>","",(string)$postage->MailService);  // Added in 2012 to strip (R)

$postage->MailService str_replace("<sup>&amp;trade;</sup>","",(string)$postage->MailService);  // Added in 2013 to strip (TM)

and

foreach ($xml->Package->Service as $service{
   $service
->SvcDescription str_replace("<sup>&amp;reg;</sup>","",(string)$service->SvcDescription);  // Added in 2012 to strip (R)

$service->SvcDescription str_replace("<sup>&amp;trade;</sup>","",(string)$service->SvcDescription);  // Added in 2013 to strip (TM)

Remember, I still don’t have my site working with this so take this suggestion with a grain of salt, but I think stripping the (TM) character can’t hurt.

UPDATE:
- I can’t figure out how to make the forums keep the named less-than/greater-than characters as is.  So, just note that in the above code, replace the “<>” around the “sup” tags with “& lt;” and “& gt;” (no spaces).
- I think this change fixed the “First-Class Package International Service**” service for me.  Maybe wasdweyman can be my QA guy and confirm it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wasdweyman

safrindoll - 28 January 2013 07:03 PM

wasdweyman - 28 January 2013 04:20 PM

I’m running 1.4.1.1 and still don’t have this working.  But since you brought up the (TM) symbol, I thought I’d offer:

Along the lines of a fix for the (R) character last year, I’m thinking of adding a str_replace command to remove that (TM) character from the string.

In app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/Usps.php:

$postage
->MailService str_replace("<sup>&amp;reg;</sup>","",(string)$postage->MailService);  // Added in 2012 to strip (R)

$postage->MailService str_replace("<sup>&amp;trade;</sup>","",(string)$postage->MailService);  // Added in 2013 to strip (TM)

and

foreach ($xml->Package->Service as $service{
   $service
->SvcDescription str_replace("<sup>&amp;reg;</sup>","",(string)$service->SvcDescription);  // Added in 2012 to strip (R)

$service->SvcDescription str_replace("<sup>&amp;trade;</sup>","",(string)$service->SvcDescription);  // Added in 2013 to strip (TM)

Remember, I still don’t have my site working with this so take this suggestion with a grain of salt, but I think stripping the (TM) character can’t hurt.

P.S. Whoops, looks like the forums are interpreting my code when I don’t want it to.  As written, those angle brackets are “& lt;” (no space) and “& gt;” (no space).  I’ll try to figure out how to get it to display as it is in the code without interpreting.

Thanks for the reply. I had been working on this for a little while already after finding the older thread that talked about stripping the (R). I’ll post again if I make some progress.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wasdweyman

I got it to work.

I added the second line of code to strip the (TM) symbol AND changed the name of the method to “First-Class Package International Service**”

For some reason, our versions still needs the **

EDIT: Since I was at it, I also added

$service->SvcDescription str_replace("**;","",(string)$service->SvcDescription);

This allowed me to not add the ** to the service name which is better anyways since some customers wonder what the ** meant.

Magento Community
Magento Community

safrindoll

Just some more info…

I have a 1.7 version of my store I haven’t released yet, and I was curious why everyone was saying all you had to do was replace the name.  Here’s why, in Usps.php:

protected function _filterServiceName($name)

{
        $name 
= (string)preg_replace(array('~<[^/!][^>]+>.*</[^>]+>~sU''~\<!--.*--\>~isU''~<[^>]+>~is'), '',

html_entity_decode($name)
        );

$name str_replace('*'''$name);

return 
$name;

}

It looks like someone (better suited than I am) just threw a general cleanup function at all the crap the USPS API throws back.  (And look, they clean the stars up too, so clearly that’s an OK edit.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwebber

Total Posts:  67
Elkhart, Indiana

The webshopapps module does not work. We have tested it on 3 different magento installs and it never worked at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwebber

Total Posts:  67
Elkhart, Indiana

Xedios - 27 January 2013 11:26 AM

We have fixed our store by taking the following actions:

Go to In file: /app/code/core/Mage/Usa/etc/config.xml

Find the First-Class Mail International Package

Replace it with “First-Class Package International Service”

You need to replace this 2 places in the config.xml

So the word should look like this “First-Class Package International Service”

Save it & Clear cache,

Double check the proper option is selected in the admin.

Now you can check the shipping option is showing in the checkout page.

This works on 1.6 and 1.7. Be very careful that you are changing it to exactly: “First-Class Package International Service”, we were simply changing it to First-Class Mail International Service and it wasn’t working.

Correct method name is: First-Class Package International Service

Magento Community
Magento Community

KyleDugger

Total Posts:  32

Running Magento CE 1.6.

I made the suggested change in file: /app/code/core/Mage/Usa/etc/config.xml

Only I find:  “First-Class Mail International Parcel” not “First-Class Mail International Package”

This looks like it was a change we made in 2012 to fix the USPS first class international issue for last years API \"update\".

So after replacing the text in both the <methods> and the <allowed methods> to “First-Class Package International Service”, that didn’t fix it.  I have flushed the cache.  I see the new method show up on the back end shipping methods.  I select it and click save, but it still is not available as an option for shipping.

Any other ideas?  I’m going to look at the app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/Usps.php file and see if that helps…

Thanks,

Kyle

EDIT: I poked around the Usps.php file and noticed the function that safrindoll mentioned:

protected function _filterServiceName($name)
.  It looked like the clean up for extra characters is already in place for CE 1.6 on.

I still don’t have a first class international shipping option for packages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rotozuk

Total Posts:  26

Xedios - 27 January 2013 11:26 AM

We have fixed our store by taking the following actions:

Go to In file: /app/code/core/Mage/Usa/etc/config.xml

Find the First-Class Mail International Package

Replace it with “First-Class Package International Service”

You need to replace this 2 places in the config.xml

So the word should look like this “First-Class Package International Service”

Save it & Clear cache,

Double check the proper option is selected in the admin.

Now you can check the shipping option is showing in the checkout page.

Worked great for my 1.6 site. Only difference was I needed to replace “First-Class Mail International Parcel” with “First-Class Package International Service” I think word parcel was added about a year ago when we had a similar change. LOL

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

methodagile

Total Posts:  28

I have a client still usng 1.3.2.4 and this was the fix. (Thanks wasdweyman)

In app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/usps.php

$postage

foreach (
$xml->Package->Service as $service{
     $service

For <sup> use &lt;sup&ampgt;
For </sup use &amplt;/sup&ampgt;

Add the following method to app/code/core/Mage/Usa/etc/config.xml

First-Class Package International Service**

Then consider replacing USPS with a more reliable shipping provider that doesn’t change their API shipping methods every year.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bacci paintball

Total Posts:  16

I am on 1.6.2 and to get my first class international working I had to change:

First-Class Mail International Parcel

to

First-Class Package International Service

in 2 spots in my config.xml file located here:
app/code/core/Mage/Usa/etc/config.xml (or app/code/local/Mage/Usa/etc/config.xml)

Magento Community
Magento Community

helefa

Total Posts:  9

Hi - I got the fix to work by changing the wording as suggested above, on 1.6. So glad I found this thread! Thanks.

On a different note - the api allows these international boxes to be used for a weight of up to 4lbs. I’ve tested it out on my site and it’s allowing a whole 4 lbs to go thru - which it shouldn’t since the box itself weighs and is included in the max weight limit. Say I want to limit orders to a weight of 3.6 lbs so that I won’t have to cover the difference in shipping {which is huge for international orders} when someone is allowed to check out with the int’l box but in reality shouldn’t be.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

mwusaw

Total Posts:  3

I am having trouble implementing the new shipping options. When I go to setup/update my shipping settings, “Standard” does not appear. I still see Parcel Post and no USPS are appearing as a shipping option at checkout.

I have ensured that usps is enabled in the system configuration, yet no usps options appear. We are running 1.6.2 of Magento, but I do not see any modules related that require updating.

In reading the documentation from usps, it says that the new options should appear in the backend. Nowhere in the documentation does it indicate that the core of Magento would need to be rewritten for this to work properly.

Any idea or suggestions on how to get usps and the new options working on my site?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

gtenrreiro

Total Posts:  3

I ve tried all of this and still nothing. I am on 1.4.0.1.

Does anyone have a solution for that version ?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3