Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How to use solr search engine with Magento Community Edition 1.7.0.2

muk_t

Total Posts:  226

Hi,
I have downloaded the magento-community-edition-solr from following link

Magento Community Edition Solr.

Can some one please help me how to install and configure this on my Magento CE 1.7.0.2 which is running on localhost on wamp server.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sumantechno
Guru

Total Posts:  478
Bangalore

Following is short description for the configuration of solr in windows with magneto community.

1)Install java

2)Download solr from the link apache-solr from http://lucene.apache.org/solr/ and extract it. Consider I have put in the D drive(D:\apache-solr-3.5.0)

3)Download solr extension from Magento Community from the link http://code.google.com/p/magento-community-edition-solr/downloads/list.

4)Extract the extension and place it in your Magneto Community project. Do replace for all the occurrence.

5)Go inside to the following location of your project “[Magento Installation]\lib\Apache\Solr\conf” . Copy all the files from there and pest them to “solr\example\solr\conf” .(For my case it was D:\apache-solr-3.5.0\example\solr\conf)

6)Start the solr server executing the command (java -jar solr-install-dir/example/start.jar)

6)Login to admin panel and navigate to System > Configuration > Catalog > Catalog Search.
Set solr as a default Search Engine and do necessary settings.

7)Re-Index “Catalog Search Index ”

Thats all.

Check the following tutorial for the details description of solr installation and configuration.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-to-use-the-solr-search-engine-with-magento-enterprise-edition

Magento Community
Magento Community

muk_t

Total Posts:  226

@magento4U

thanks for help, But I am not getting STEP-5 described by you properly.Could you please explain little more.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ottom

Total Posts:  54

Hello Magento4U,

Step 6) Login to admin panel and navigate to System > Configuration > Catalog > Catalog Search. Set solr as a default Search Engine and do necessary settings.

There is no item Solr in the menu available, although the extension is there and accessible through System > Configuration >
Solr Search Engine. Any ideas why? My Magento version is 1.7.0.2 CE.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

Solr is a pain to install with the engine, the extension is the easy part. We have installed in on 1.7.0.2 and works fine, getting the two to talk to each other is not very easy such as opening up ports, each install is often different, that is the main problem. You need to move the files from Magento to the SOLR install.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Djura48

Total Posts:  3

I get this error after uploading .Fatal error: Class ‘Magentix_Solr_Helper_Data’ not found in /home/floridan/stefan/magento/app/Mage.php on line 516. Does anyone know how to fix this error.

Magento Community
Magento Community

schimmula

Total Posts:  1

I followed all the steps explained above, for integrating solr 3.6.2 to magento community edition 1.7. while indexing i’m getting error as unkown product_id, store_id, fulltext. so i added these fields to schema.xml, then able to index. But after indexing it is not giving results. can anybody help me to fix this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jose_magento

Total Posts:  8

Hi,

We’ve released a new (and free) extension to integrate Magento 1.7 with Solr.  You can check detailed specs and setup process in the extension page on Magento Connect. 

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/catalog/product/view/id/19135/s/solr4mage-9031/

Also, we’ve created a post describing the setup process and configuration

http://www.summasolutions.net/blogposts/solr4mage-has-launched

We would be glad to receive comments and feedback so we can improve it and add more features!

Magento Community
Magento Community

prathibha_am

Total Posts:  6

@jose_magento,

I used Solr4Mage and ended up getting the following error.

“Unable to connect to SOLR” Followed the steps mentioned in the documentation.

Getting this error msg when I re-index/re-build Catalog Search index in “Index Management”.

Setup details - Magento 1.7, WAMP server

Any help highly appreciated.

~ Thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

jose_magento

Hi prathibha_am,

Do you have Solr running properly and in a server that is accessible from the Magento server? (it can be the same server, actually)

You should have the Solr engine running for this to work. Then you need to provide the information about that Solr instance in the extension configuration (IP, port, path, timeout, etc). With that properly configured, the extension should work correctly.

You have more detailed instructions on our blog http://www.summasolutions.net/blogposts/solr4mage-has-launched

Please let me know if that worked fine for you.

Best,
Jose Maria

Magento Community
Magento Community

prathibha_am

Total Posts:  6

Hi Jose,

I appreciate your quick response.

Still working on it.

~ Thank you again

Magento Community
Magento Community

OPF_Meir

Hi Jose,

I have a solr server that seems to be configured and running correctly (I can issue queries on the select url). When I try to set up Solr4Mage I get an “unexpected error” when I try to reindex. Nothing is added to the system or exception log so it’s hard to know what’s going wrong.

Do you have any troubleshooting tips for me? Is there a way to turn on more logging?

Thanks,
Meir

Magento Community
Magento Community

jose_magento

Hi Meir,

One question: this solr server that you have running, is it using the configuration files that come with our extension?

If you have it running, but you didn’t place our configuration files for it to use, the extension won’t be able to communicate with it properly.

Please confirm if you did that or not, and we move forward from there.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

OPF_Meir

Yes, I used your configuration files with a slight modification. I had to add <luceneMatchVersion>3.6</luceneMatchVersion> and comment out the xslt adapter to get my solr installation to add the core. I’d be happy to PM you the server url if you’d like to take a look.

Thanks!
Meir

Magento Community
Magento Community

jose_magento

Hi Meir,

Sure, please send me a PM with the URL and we’ll take a look a it.

Thanks!
Jose Maria

Magento Community
Magento Community

Juddder

Total Posts:  16
London

Hi Jose

We were going to try this out but the Magento Connect page for the extension appears to have been removed.

Do you still have the extension available on GitHub or similar?

Many thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2