Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How long does it take to upgrade from Magneto 1.6 to 1.7

carioca

Total Posts:  1

could someone help me with How long does it take to upgrade from Magneto 1.6 to 1.7
and the stepes I need to take before I upgrade my store

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ChuckR

Total Posts:  9

Depends on the upgrade procedure you use. I have heard about issues with Magento upgrade from admin, so I decided to install fresh store and simply transfer data using this service: http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com
It took me several hours 2 hours 25 minutes to transfer over 5k items. Of course it depends on store peculiarities, Magento installation, hosting etc. but still, this service works on high speed. And no errors were detected during and after migration. so Magento -Magento migration is really the option you should consider. The steps I took:
1.Data backup
2. MAgento soft installation (the new version I needed)
3. Registered and tried free demo. checked the results (got satisfied) and migrated the whole store. everything with guides and hints - really simple
check out yourself:
http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/supported-carts/55-magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Hey @carioca, it depends entirely on how large your database is - mainly your products, customers, and orders.  If you have less than, say, a thousand of each, it should probably take no longer than 5 minutes for the database upgrades themselves to run.  As far as an upgrade guide goes, here’s one that I put together:

There are also upgrade services if you don’t want to get your hands too dirty smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community