Magento Forum

Forum login experience is terrible! 

maurymarkowitz

Total Posts:  1

The experience as a first time user here in this forum is terrible.

First off, I cannot use any of my openid providers to log in. This means that every user has to fill out the same information they’ve filled out a hundred times over and is already stored. It doesn’t even allow me to copy information from any of those sources.

Then it wouldn’t allow me to use my email address as my username. It also imposed limits on the allowable characters. This forced me to make up a new login name, that I’m sure I will forget. My browser might remember it, but which one? The one on this machine? My work machine? My phone? The coffee shop?

As if that were not enough, similar limits were imposed on my password, so I had to create a new one that I will definitely forget. I deliberately use the same password on all non-critical sites where there is no useful information available to an attacker. That means I have to use only a limited set of truly secure passwords if and where I need them, as well as ensuring I don’t have lots of password and account reminder emails floating around on all my devices where it can easily be stolen.

All of this sort of setup is precisely what I want to avoid forcing my customers into. In my experience ANY step like this equals a lost sale. It worries me that Magento would select a forum system that does this, and worries me even more that this is actually Magento I’m typing into.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nChannel
Guru

Total Posts:  322

Yeah, it definitely is not as user friendly as some other forums. It is kind of a pain to login and then use a capcha for each post. Perhaps they will streamline in the future?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community