Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Error log: access forbidden by rule “POST /app/etc/local.xml HTTP/1.1”

broesch

Total Posts:  11

Each time we access a page in the admin, this error is added to the logs:

[error] 8787#0: *300386 access forbidden by rule, client: our.own.ip.address, server: our.server.com, request: "POST /app/etc/local.xml HTTP/1.1", host: "our.server.com"

We have denied all to /app/ in our nginx config in the same manner as the .htaccess file. It doesn’t seem to me like an XML file should ever even accept a post request, anyway. Is this the case? Should we then add a rule to the configuration file to allow requests from the server’s own IP address?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

riverson45

Total Posts:  7

I’m seeing the same error. Anyone know what’s going on?

Magento Community
Magento Community

broesch

Total Posts:  11

One other thing I notice is that the error number changes each time:

NUMBER#0: *NUMBER access forbidden by rule
This error pops up in the logs every time an admin does anything on the back end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonauman

Total Posts:  1

I had the same question. Found the answer here:

http://www.yireo.com/tutorials/magento/magento-administration/1322-client-denied-by-server-configuration-appetclocalxml

Lot of good info on this site.

-J

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community