Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Layered Navigation Not Working Mystery

kimchi209

Total Posts:  67

I have been making modifications on my magento site and realized this afternoon that my layered navigation was working for categories but not for attributes. Here are my current Clues:

- on cache management it says “runninng - kill” under indices. i am wondering if it is working on indexing the products and is just taking an abnormally long time today

- one of the things i did yesterday was adjusted the template code for the view.phtml and list.phtml in order to show additional attributes. I have tried reverting to my previous backups of view and list.phtml but that didnt bring back the layered nav

- The “shop By” block is still there and shows up for category browsing but not for any of the attributes

- also the tiered pricing block doesnt seem to be showing up for product views

Any thoughts? Ill give a really big smiley to anyone who can help me track this down!!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

kimchi209 - 27 January 2009 10:22 AM

I have been making modifications on my magento site and realized this afternoon that my layered navigation was working for categories but not for attributes. Here are my current Clues:

- on cache management it says “runninng - kill” under indices. i am wondering if it is working on indexing the products and is just taking an abnormally long time today

- one of the things i did yesterday was adjusted the template code for the view.phtml and list.phtml in order to show additional attributes. I have tried reverting to my previous backups of view and list.phtml but that didnt bring back the layered nav

- The “shop By” block is still there and shows up for category browsing but not for any of the attributes

- also the tiered pricing block doesnt seem to be showing up for product views

Any thoughts? Ill give a really big smiley to anyone who can help me track this down!!!

I have the same problem at my store, and was not able to fix it. My layered navigation was working before, and it just stoped working as you said for no reason. I didn’t change any codes in my original files. There is a bug in this which I don’t know how to fix.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kimchi209

I just reported the bug to magento and am trying to search for other answers as well. Please let me know if you find anything.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

kimchi209 - 27 January 2009 10:46 AM

I just reported the bug to magento and am trying to search for other answers as well. Please let me know if you find anything.

This problem has been going on for long time (like all other bugs in Magento). There have been several bug reports and forum threads about this. I doubt that Magento fix anything.
Here another thread in this regard:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/11938/P0/

Magento Community
Magento Community

kimchi209

does anyone have a workaround to get it back? is there a file that can be deleted or a dbtable that could be emptied to make it work again?

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

Here is a solution to layered navigation problem. I found this on another thread and it worked for me like a charm. It took less than 5 minutes to refresh over 10,000 products and now I have all the attributes in my layer navigation bar:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/24788/#t86901

Magento Community
Magento Community

kimchi209

this only works for some of my products but doesnt get through all of them… even after adding

set_time_limit(0);
to the beginning of that script

Magento Community
Magento Community

kimchi209

Mystery Solved!!!

Found my problem!!! The layered nav was not working in categories that had products missing required data… I went in and fixed one in each category and the nav came back!!! Make sure youre imported data has all required fields, plus all fields are within the constraints of the variable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisMK

Total Posts:  28
Manchester UK

The problems usually caused by execution time limits and memory consumption…

Try

-> Layered Navigation Fix http://chrismckee.co.uk/magento-commerce-layered-navigation-cache-error-part-badger-part-duck/

I’ve recently Updated it, Now a Browser version and a PHP-CLI Version (aka SSH runnable) that will let you run the layered navigation refresh in chunks.

Please lot all issues on the post in the comments section.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paulus
Guru

Total Posts:  335

kimchi209 - 29 January 2009 08:03 AM

Mystery Solved!!!

Found my problem!!! The layered nav was not working in categories that had products missing required data… I went in and fixed one in each category and the nav came back!!! Make sure youre imported data has all required fields, plus all fields are within the constraints of the variable.

Hi, we have beenhaving the same issue for over 6 months now, unsolvable with all good tips on the boards.
I’m thinking your issue might be what is causing mine too. We import almost everything automatically. However, we did change our import file yesterday as we thought was sufficient.

How did you check what fields are all required, it is just a couple marked with *, right? Getting so frustrated I am starting to doubt my own skillz;-)

Magento Community
Magento Community

semko

here is the fix:

http://jksite.com/blog/2009/07/magento-layered-navigation-cache-error/comment-page-1/

Great thanks to:  Chris McKee and JK

Magento Community
Magento Community

provoscooter

Utah

kimchi209 - 29 January 2009 08:03 AM

Mystery Solved!!!

That solved the problem for me!

The only thing that I had changed between the time that the layered navigation was working and not working was that I uploaded some products. I went back and checked and some of the products didn’t have a value for weight. After I tracked down all the products without a weight and corrected it, the layered navigation attributes started working immediately

i am using 1.3.2.4

Magento Community
Magento Community

seansan

Total Posts:  62

This is how it worked for me: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/180684/

Magento Community
Magento Community

HMiggels

Total Posts:  8

After 2 days of searching I finally found the solution to my problem.

My layered navigation was working, but only the categories were not showing. I found out that one of my filterable attributes was set to ‘global’ - when you set this to ‘storeview’ your categories will show up again. If not check for other attributes which are filterable but have the scope set to ‘global’

Magento Community
Magento Community

KandT

Total Posts:  33

I was having the same issue - my layered navigation was showing up in some categories and not others and I realized that I had forgotten to set the rest of the categories to ‘is anchor’ in the catalog display settings. So in case you’re issue is as non-technical as mine was, you can try this smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

KandT

Total Posts:  33

I was having the same issue - my layered navigation was showing up in some categories and not others and I realized that I had forgotten to set the rest of the categories to ‘is anchor’ in the catalog display settings. So in case your issue is as non-technical as mine was, you can try this smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2