Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Sales tax

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

Why can tax_class_id not be removed from attributes. It is a system attribute and I know they cannot be removed, however I do not have to charge sales tax. I notice even when seting up products, the drop down list has no choice but tax.  My own county clerks office has told me unless I have a brick and mortar strore in addition to internet store, whihc I do not, I don’t have to collect sales tax.  How do I stop sales tax from being calculated?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

You can remove all rules in Admin > Sales > Tax > Rules , and they won’t be collected.
tax_class_id can’t be removed, as calculations depend on it

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Thank you again. I actually found that shortly after I posted this, starting to get more venturesome in clicking around etc.

FYI as I learn this, from total newbie perspective.
I am creating for my biz partner who is too busy with other aspects of our biz, a sort of “Users Guide”, FAQ etc. So tht he can breeze thru ti. If you are interested, I will gladly donate it to your endeavor, perhaps a sticky post, for people, who like I, are impressed with the demo, but once we install the software, are cluelless.

I plan to outline which screencasts seem to be most relevant first,--the sequence to view them in so it comes together comprehensively etc, to get you off the ground, add my own comments, instructions etc for him.  If you wish, you can look it over and post it or not post it, no hard feelings if you dont’ want to.

But I think many of your users are familair with CMS, I know zippo about it, but am very sharp once I get off the ground and can write a good Newbie Guide for you if you are interested.  This would fill a gap that I found right away and have commented on, “where’s the docs” “how do I get started with this” etc.

Amyway, thanks for your help as always.

Cheers
Anna

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@AnnaM: that would be absolutely awesome smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Ok will do, I will probably make it int the format of how to setup a simple store, which maybe has two or three categories and a sub cat or two, how to use static blocks which I have now found out is how I can incorporate HTML into my category description etc.  How to do config products and non config.

The one thing I don’t know which maybe you can tell me now, two in fact, is

I found the path to logo.gif in one of the zillion css files, and just put my own logo in that folder and called it logo.gif. What I don’t know is where are the widht and height specified? My logo is dispalyed, but is distorted.

I also find the same thing when setting up a categorey, I upload an image into the db, but it has a mind of its own what the widht and height are. How do you tell it the correct dimensions of an image that youhave uploaded. You can see this in
http://www.epicurecookware.com Select Gourmet Standard tab See how distorted the img is, and its becasue there is no place to tell it the w and h.

Disregard this, Just found out how!!
I alos have no idea yet, how to edit the home page, that big blank space there. I have hunted but can find no way to do this. I can add tabs of course via the categories, but how do I put in my own html, flash and what not in that big empty space?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

I am creating for my biz partner who is too busy with other aspects of our biz, a sort of “Users Guide”, FAQ etc. So tht he can breeze thru ti. If you are interested, I will gladly donate it to your endeavor, perhaps a sticky post, for people, who like I, are impressed with the demo, but once we install the software, are cluelless.

I plan to outline which screencasts seem to be most relevant first,--the sequence to view them in so it comes together comprehensively etc, to get you off the ground, add my own comments, instructions etc for him.  If you wish, you can look it over and post it or not post it, no hard feelings if you dont’ want to.

We’d love to have you contribute the users guide to the Magento Wiki

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Roy, what format should the document be in. I use Open Office , not Word, and could use its equivalent of Word, or do it in html, or simple rtf?  Not sure what would work. ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@AnnaM - You simply create a new page and paste the content.

You can learn more about the formatting here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/wiki/help

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnneLise

Total Posts:  154
Bergen, Norway

AnnaM - 01 February 2008 06:58 AM

I also find the same thing when setting up a categorey, I upload an image into the db, but it has a mind of its own what the widht and height are. How do you tell it the correct dimensions of an image that youhave uploaded.

Disregard this, Just found out how!!

Can you share with us what the secret was?  I am changing logo.gif to a bigger image and I’m having the same problem.
It pushed the rest of the header further down the site, leaving a big white gap.

-Lise

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community