Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is InnoDB Really Mandatory? 

unwiredbrain

Total Posts:  5

A big “hello” to the whole Magento community.

I ran magento-check.php on my local machine; InnoDB was disabled, but the script didn’t reported any error about.
That arouse a lot of curiosity on me, because I’ve read that InnoDB is a required feature.

Keeping that in mind, I tried to install Magento anyway, thinking that something is going to go wrong at a certain point; it have to: i’ts a required feature.

Conversely, everything goes pretty plain, pretty simple, straightforward, and, most important, error free. WTF?

Now my question is: is InnoDB a really mandatory feature to be available?

If yes, what will happen, in a production environment, if I install it on a system where InnoDB is not available?

Thanks in advance for the time you’re gonna spend on me.
--
unwiredbrain

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

unwiredbrain

Total Posts:  5

After 6 days I still have got no response. What a shame.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Romain_C

Total Posts:  74
Hossegor, France

Unfortunately I can’t give you a precise response to your question cause as you said, nor really official documentation about this…

But I have experienced some issues about this point and I may have some usefull informations for your or someone else.

The facts :

I had a Magento v 1.1.8 release that was running right without InnoDB support activated on our dedicated server.
I recently made an upgrade to v 1.2.1 and somme errors appeared particularly on cart and checkout pages. This is the famous error taht everybody is talking about
See more at : http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/26356/

The debug :

I activated InnoDB support for mysql, and manually specified which storage engine to use on a per table basis, following this list(http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/convert_database_to_innodb).

Add to cart and checkout process seems to work again properly now.

Some hints :

But there is still some “not so clear” points. Maybe InnoDB became mandatory since 1.2.* versions.
Anyway after activating InnoDB support, I tried to make the magento install process starting with an empty database( in order to check which tables Magento was expecting to use InnoDB instead of MyISAM). The result is so poor…

All the tables were created using MyISAM and not InnoDB, but if you run the installer without InnoDB activated, at the database setup step I got an error telling “You system doesn’t support InnoDB.”
Please Magento Core Team, tell us more about his ?
What is the goal of making InnoDB a requirement if your process install doesn’t create any tables using it ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

coooool

Total Posts:  13

I would like to know more details on this from the Magento Team member as well.

Since some hosting companies do not want to enable this feature on their shared hosting servers, it is so painful to get installation done.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community