Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Required Custom Options

sean_dunwoody

Total Posts:  15

(I hope this topic is in the right category)

Right, I know you can add custom options to products in magento, say you add custom options to a simple product and then link it to a configurable product - you now have a way for users to heavily customise products.

However, I’ve read (and discovered) that if said simple product has required custom options, it will not link to the configurable product (by link I mean associate).

My first question is, why does this happen? Surely it is counter intuitive to offer a required option when adding it will only cause said product to not appear on the front end!

My second question is, would it be easy to override this behaviour? I’ve done some googling, but not come up with much (and unfortunately my experience with magento extends to about last month)

I apologise if this question is naive in any way.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ionix

Total Posts:  24

The only built in way I can think of doing this would be to add the Custom Options to the configurable product and not the simple products associated with it.

I’ve done so with floor mats that are available with or without embroidered logos, for example:
http://corvettespecialty.com/corvette-80-20-loop-floor-mats-for-c2-models

The downside is that if only some of the simple products associated with that configurable product allow the custom option it will still be available for all the products in the configurable product.

A fix for the situation I listed above, where only some products within the configurable product have custom options, is to simply make a new product attribute, and make more simple products to fit that configuration. So instead of custom options you will have an extra configurable product dropdown.

For example: consider the following configurable setup using custom options:
-Red T-Shirts with Custom Options of White or Black Logos
-Green T-Shirts with Custom Options of Yellow or Blue Logos

Obviously couldn’t add a Custom Options list with all 4 logo options, otherwise you’d get a Red T-Shirt with Blue Logos which doesn’t exist. The solution to this is to make another product attribute and more simple products to fill those options.
You’d add a new dropdown product attribute with the options for all color logos (and a “No Logo” option if it is available as so)

So instead of using Custom Options with your configurable products, you would make one configurable product with both shirt color and logo color attributes, with the associated simple products being:
-Red T-Shirts with No Logos
-Red T-Shirts with White Logos
-Red T-Shirts with Black Logos
-Green T-Shirts with No Logos
-Green T-Shirts with Yellow Logos
-Green T-Shirts with Blue Logos

Now when the customer chooses Red T-Shirts, the Logo drop-downs will only show No/Black/White Logo configurable options, and the opposite with Green T-Shirts. It’s a bit more work but it looks better and behaves appropriately.

For better illustration here’s a more complex configurable product on our website, using only configurable product attributes, no custom options:
http://corvettespecialty.com/corvette-cut-pile-carpet-sets-for-c3-models

It uses 5 different configurable product attributes to narrow down the selection, no custom options are used. Keep in mind there is an associated simple product for every conceivable combination of options, and the dropdowns will change depending on what is selected before it. It is very important that you order the configurable attributes correctly, starting with the most general option first.

I hope my experience in dealing with configurable products helps you out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sean_dunwoody

Total Posts:  15

Thank you very much for your detailed response Ionix smile very interesting, hopefully I can put that knowledge to use in the future!

However, I’m still curious as to why custom options can’t be required in the situation I’ve described above. Is anybody else able to explain why?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community