Magento Forum

Simple product or Configurable Product

wildwilla

Total Posts:  12

Hiya All

I am vary new to Magento and am loving it so far.

The Question I have is about the best way to add some products for my new store.

If I sell widgets in packs of 1-5-10-25-50-100, can I use a simple product model and have a drop down or radio button to select the pack size. This would be in addition to the the quantity field so you could buy 4 100packs of widgets.

It seems a bit extreme to have to use the Configurable Product model for this, but maybe this is how it has to be. Well this why i am asking smile

wW

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

afrost

Total Posts:  102

Hi,

You could use either a Simple or Configurable product.

If you want to use a Simple Product you can use the Custom Options to specify different options.

When creating a Simple Product go to the section Custom Options. Here you can add a new option, specify the input type (in your case probably a dropdown) then input the different configurations and assign a different price per pack size.

Hope that helps. Just say ask if you have any questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wildwilla

Total Posts:  12

Hiya afrost

Thanks for the reply. The simple product solution does the job!

I did have one follow up question which is, the pack sizes have different weights as they are multiple of the same base product so how does the simple product solution handle this?.

wW

Magento Community
Magento Community

afrost

Total Posts:  102

Hi cosmosusa01

As far as I am aware you can’t set individual weights using Custom options. You could look for an Extension that adds this functionality, like this one for example http://www.mageworx.com/advanced-product-options-magento-extension.html
Otherwise you may have to use a Configurable product type instead.

Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community