Magento Forum

Help with multi-store, multi-catalog logic and configuration

Mythos

Total Posts:  4

Hello,

I need some help with the logic and configuration of my webstore.

Right now, I’m using OsCMax (a variant of OsCommerce) in several shopping cart websites, and it’s becomming really hard to maintain.

I’ve just installed Magento on a testing domain, to perform all sorts of tests and try to accomplish what I’m looking for; as far as I understand from the user guide and tutorials, it seems to be quite easy, but I still can’t make it work. I guess it’s a logic problem, to migrate my brain to Magento’s superior architecture.

So, here it is, with an example:

Let’s say I run a shopping mall, with several stores; some of them will live in a single domain, but have to look separate; and some of them will live in different domains. All products will be in the same catalog, in different categories.

Structure (to be repeated N times):

website1.com/category1 // with several sub-categories
website1.com/category2 // with several sub-categories
website2.com/category3 // with several sub-categories

These would need to be accessed via these actual links structure: website.com/category

All the products can (and need to) be under the same catalog, for administration purposes.
All customers should be in the same db, no need to separate customers dbs.

What I’ve done so far:

- I’ve created several root categories, trying unsuccessfully to reach them via ‘website.com/category’
- I’ve created several subcategories under the root categories, but I can’t manage to have only the category/subcategories displaying in a website.com/category configuration (meaning that the category should NOT be visible when reaching website.com/category, only its subcategories in the top menu).
- I’m reading through the user guide and the knowledge base. I’m understanding what I’m reading, but can’t do what I intend to do.

Please let me know any needed clarifications.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MageKing

Total Posts:  52
Ahmedabad

Here is what you are looking for
http://www.crucialwebhost.com/blog/how-to-setup-multiple-magento-stores/

Magento Community
Magento Community

BelVG
Guru

Total Posts:  306
Minsk, Belarus

Hi,

as advised Ankitkumar you need to create multistore. Here are some more demonstrative tutorials

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-multi-site-multi-domain-setup
http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/video-creating-multiple-online-storefronts-part1/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/video-creating-multiple-online-storefronts-part-2/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mythos

Thank you both for your help.

I followed the instructions on the first link, and I chose to use the Subdirectory Method to try things out, since this is something I need and it looks much easier than the other ones.
I still have to try the multiple domains option.

I’m using this: website.com/custom_dir

And I get the following error: /home/website/public_html/custom_dir/app/Mage.php was not found

Any ideas ?

Thank you again,
Mythos

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mythos

I\’m having server troubles/errors with both Addon and Parked methods.

I\’ve contacted my hosting company about this.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mythos

Parked method didn’t work for me.

I get an ‘empty’ page, with just this on the page:

>Site Map
Search Terms
Advanced Search
Orders and Returns
Contact Us
Help Us to Keep Magento Healthy - Report All Bugs (ver. 1.7.0.2)

© 2012 Website. All Rights Reserved....

Magento Community
Magento Community

BelVG
Guru

Total Posts:  306
Minsk, Belarus

Hi,

You need to edit your index.php file in subdirectory to include mage.phpfrom the original installation or just create symlinks to app, js, skin, lib folders

Magento Community
Magento Community

gbroomfield

Total Posts:  2

You need to edit your index.php file, held in your install (magento) or the relevant sub dir & change the following:

$mageFilename = MAGENTO_ROOT . ‘/../../app/Mage.php’;

For me this redirects the requirement for mage.php from webroot / Magento / stores / website. If you need it to go from webroot / Magento / website just make the entry $mageFilename = MAGENTO_ROOT . ‘/../app/Mage.php’;

Hope that helps.

G

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community