Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

About adding product brands? 

Juno612

Total Posts:  54
City of Industry

Wonder if adding brands on layer navigation menu will add page download time to the page. Showing all brands won’t work for us since we eventually will carry over million products and may have over 20000 brands. Enable or disable the layer navigation option won’t work either since it will affect the product listing page.

If you are magento expert, please let me know what he claimed is true or simply he doesn’t have the skill up to the job.

Thanks,
Frank

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Anshu Mishra

Total Posts:  101
India

Hi

I am not an expert in magento, but what i think regarding this is, either we can make the Shoes as the attribute and brands as values of it or we can we have brands as sub category and customize our layered navigation accordingly.
I dont know how it will perform but for approving magento site performance, you can use APC.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sunovisio

Total Posts:  94
Ho Chi Minh

Hi juno612,

This is totally possible to create a new layer specific for your homepage without any issue. I am not sure I understand everything about your requirements but everything can be done in Magento.

About performance issue, I would not worry about it much as that kind of layer can be added to cache.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you need more information. You have my skype and my email address in my signature.

Hope I can help you with more information.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Juno612

City of Industry

Anshu_Mishra - 04 December 2012 11:01 AM

Hi

I am not an expert in magento, but what i think regarding this is, either we can make the Shoes as the attribute and brands as values of it or we can we have brands as sub category and customize our layered navigation accordingly.
I dont know how it will perform but for approving magento site performance, you can use APC.

But we can’t enable layered navigation on this page since this is a sub-category page, unless we can turn on/off attribute on each page but unfortunately if you turn it on, it will show on both sub-category page and product listing page.

Thanks though ^_^

Magento Community
Magento Community

Juno612

City of Industry

Hi juno612,

Sunovisio - 04 December 2012 07:08 PM

This is totally possible to create a new layer specific for your homepage without any issue.

That’s what I thought, but instead, he suggested us to turn off all other attributes and just leave brands and price ON to artificially created the result. But unfortunately, When you disable other attributes, the attributes on the product listing page also disappear....

if you can make the sub-category page and product listing page 2 separate layered navigation, then it should be no problem. May be we should just leave it alone for now. I will contact you if i need further help…

thanks,
Frank

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community