Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Multi-site category setup

JC77

Total Posts:  16

I’m, running two websites on a single instance of Magento 1.7. They will both include the same products and categories, however one of the sites will contain many additional products and categories that will not be included on the other site.

I know that when setting up multiple sites, a separate root category should be created for each website, unless they will be using the same catalog. But in my case, while they both will share the same catalog, I need to be able to disable or exclude certain categories from each site individually for categories that only appear on one of the sites and not both. This doesn’t appear to be possible.

Does anyone know of a solution or extension that will allow me do this? If not, then I’ll need to create a separate root category for the second site, which will be much more time consuming to maintain. If a second category is necessary in this case, is there a way to copy the overlapping categories from the first site to the second site, or do they need to be created from scratch? And should the overlapping categories use different category ID numbers, or can they use the same numbers as in the first site?

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AssociatedVOIP

Total Posts:  44

Yes, you need to create a duplicate sub-category in a new root category.

Then, you can cut/paste the contents of the sub-categories.
Or, you can create a CMS Block and assign it to both sub-categories, minimizing the maintenance.

As far as products, you only need to create them once and then assign them to both categories.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello,

Check this article -
http://www.mag-manager.com/importexport-option-helps-to-copy-your-categories

Hope it will be useful for you.

Magento Community