Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how to contribute to magento - what can developers do and how can they contribute? 

lkbryant

Total Posts:  60

hi,

i am a big contributor to zend framework and I love the way they handle the system in which anyone can contribute to the project by having some kind of CLA(contributor license agreement) in which they can submit their codes for evaluation by Zend to implement in their core/repository release.

i have no idea how much or how i can contribute to magento at all. i would love to be a part of the magento development process and i wish that there was some way that I can contribute to some part of the coding in which you guys can later review it to implement on your next releases.

this also solves many of the issues in that, as a developer, i need to know what type of customizations i need to do. but if magento will be working on those customizations as well, there really is no point of me working on it in the first place!

is there some kind of contributor program you guys have in mind sometime in the future?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lornez

Total Posts:  4

Yap, i agree and would love to see something like a list with current subprojects/pParts in development. By the way, i also like to contribute! On the first sight i love this project!

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

I agree with the subproject idea, I think it’d be a good way to divide the workload & to help fix bugs.  I’m sure the Magento Team is broken up into Sub teams..  maybe a few people from different parts of the project could head these sub projects? If only to provide direction.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We are currently working on functionality for the community site that will allow users to get into working groups. This is expected in the next few weeks. As much as we’d love your help now, we are not yet ready in terms of process to make it happen. Be assured that things are moving and our development is on pace with the project as communicated.

The biggest help we can use right now is for users to help each other on the forum. Documentation is also an area that can be greatly improved (since its virtually non-existent).

Oh - and spreading the word never hurt smile

Thanks again for everyone’s help - we are grateful.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community