Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Problems related to customize order status

easonchan521

Total Posts:  5

Hi guys, i have some problems about the order status related problems, cause this is my first time to use magento and i am not really know this system very well, its kind of urgent, so i will be really happy if i could get any help from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Here is the problem that i have, i have many order statuses for describing an order in different situation, such as “processing”, “call failure”, “pending”, “preparing stock”, “partial deliver”, “reversed”, “chargeback” and so on, i need to change the status of an order manually according to its different situations.

Does that can do and how do i make it happen? Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions. Thank you guys very very much!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sunovisio

Total Posts:  94
Ho Chi Minh

Hi easonchan521,

You can add as many order statuses as you want. However you will have to be careful (keeping a correct business logic in mind with the order states different than statuses).

To add more statuses, go in system -> order statuses and add statuses you need. After that, you will have to associated the statuses to state but I guess you will understand the stuff easily.

Hope my answer will help you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

easonchan521

Hi SunoVisio,

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, as you said i can add as many as order statuses as i want, but the key is that i can not really understand the relationship between the order state and order status. Does an order status will only be available after it has been assigned to a state? From my knowledge, the order state means the same thing with order status, so why they two exist at the same time and that really confuse me a lot?

I’m sorry for being so dumb, really need to get this fixed, or get me fixed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sunovisio

Total Posts:  94
Ho Chi Minh

Hi easonchan521,

The order management in Magento is not very easy to understand I think. I will try to explain it as simple as possible. Note that I attached a document here which explain order management in Magento.

I will make more simple than the real Magento so it will be easier to understand. Let’s say that we have 3 states: pending, processing and complete. Pending is an order not paid yet. Processing is an order paid but not shipped yet and Complete is an order paid and shipped.

Until now it is pretty simple I guess. However, we can imagine that you need to have different status for the processing state. For example, you can have Paid status, Send to warehouse for order preparation, etc etc. Here is the difference between state and status.

1 state can have several status with more meaning for your business when a status can have only one state.

The state is more Magento management side when the status is your business management side.

I know that it is not simple to understand but it is very important to get it clear in mind when working with order management.

Hope my answer will help you.

Image Attachments
order_management_in_magento.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

easonchan521

Hi SunoVisio,

Thank you so so so much for your patient explanation and i really get it this time. smile Finally i get it!
I think i would actually just need 3 states,
The 1st state is for unpaid order which its order status would be pending ( and i can manually change the status “pending” into “unpaid” so that it would look more clearly,) am i right?
The 2nd state is for those paid orders, except status “processing”, i can also add other statuses like “preparing stock”, “partial delivery” and even “complete” etc. into this state. I could update the order status in this state for the customers to check. Cause our product is virtual online service and we do not really need shipping, so all we need is once the service is done and customer be happy, then we will mark the order as completed.
The 3rd state is for the paid order but the payment has been reversed due to some reasons, such as dispute or unauthorized claim or others, once the payment was reversed, the order status would be changed to “reversed” automatically so that we could realize there’s something happened and we need to have a check.

If there’s something that i have misunderstood, please point it out and correct me. Thank you so much!

Magento Community
Magento Community

easonchan521

Hi guys,
Our website http://www.young4game.com now is almost ready, it’s built up by magento system, hope you guys could have a visit and by the way, our site is a place where selling online games products like in-game gold, such as ffxi gil and daoc plat and etc. You can find almost every hot games on our site, so if any of you are game players, you can come to us and we could offer you a special price. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community