Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Blank Shopping Cart/Checkout. Tonight I will cry myself to sleep. 

makens

Total Posts:  7

The Cold Hard Truth:
Well, its the day before Thanksgiving break here at the office and the day I get back I was scheduled to make a presentation on my 95% completed Magento ecommerce site and why it was a better alternative for the company than ASPDotNetStoreFront

The Problem(s):
Tonight I noticed that the shopping cart/checkout page was blank but only on the default version of the site (mobile worked fine). So I assumed CSS was the issue. But when I disabled CSS, same problem. I haven’t edited a single layout file today and am totally stumped.
To make matters worse, I panicked and restored backup from the admin panel, now all of my pages and CMS blocks are missing.
I have half a work day to fix this mess and I am beyond panicked. If someone could give me any kinda of indication as to what happened to my shopping cart, I will be forever grateful. (PS I have double checked my cart template files havent been altered in several weeks).

The Facts:
Keep in mind only changes I have made recently are to the admin config settings and to the CSS. No template or layout changes in days.

Bonus Points:
Bonus points for the person that can tell me how to recover my CMS blocks. But I suspect Ill be stuck fixing that one manually. :’(

The Site:
http://www.tcvtv.com

PS: My guess, because of my major screw up, my company will be going with the ASPDotNetStoreFront. If Magento doesn’t look reliable, kinda ruins my whole pitch.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sunovisio

Total Posts:  94
Ho Chi Minh

Hi makens,

About your cart, you should first enable developer mode in .htaccess file:

SetEnv MAGE_IS_DEVELOPER_MODE "true"

If that doesn’t give results, you should debug your template file manually. Currently no exception is thrown in core side I guess but the error is in the template file as your layout is still rendered.

So try to put some var_dump(’test’);exit; at the beginning of your template file to see first if it is called. If yes, you should find the error in the template file with adding the var_dump(’test’);exit; line per line. If not, the error may be in your layout file.

About your CMS page, if you have no backup of your work, I guess you will need to rewrite it manually.

Hope my answer will help you

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Magento’s learning curve involves a lot of tears. During development always backup code and database prior to making changes. It’s better to have a stack of wasted, unused burned DVDs than a major failure on a tight schedule with a week old backup. OUCH!!!

First things, go into Magento’s config and turn on ALL logging. Look in var/log for exception.log and system.log, also look in var/report for the latest numbered stack traces, once in a while, you’ll get lucky and it will throw them without visual evidence.

Next step is to put it into Dev mode (index.php edits) and see if the advanced error reporting shows anything. The most dangerous time during development is when you’ve made quite a few changes that have shown on the front end and forgot about a layout change that suddenly gets exposed when you clear the cache. Always run in dev mode with NO CACHING WHATSOEVER so bad code causes immediate grief.

First step, DON’T PANIC as more damage gets done prodding it with a sharp stick in the hopes something will happen than does by stepping back for a couple hours and then starting diagnostic traces to find out what really happened (log messages, dev mode, etc.) I realize it’s too late for that advice, but for others in future…

Full day tomorrow at work kicking a phone answering system running on OS/2 hoping I don’t have the same results so over and out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hoanglan87

Total Posts:  19

I took a quick check on your site and I see cause of the problem is not css. Maybe the block/template was broke.  All html for cart is missing: <div class="col-main"> </div> (the “div” is empty). Do you recently install new module? Need more details for finding what exactly wrong in your website. (log, debug..)

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

First of all clear the cache.
This is the first thing you do when something is f****d up in Magento.
In 95% of the cases this DOES NOT fix the problem but do it anyway.

From the looks of the website I would put my money on ‘The output of the Checkout module is disabled’.
I bet on this because everything related to the cart is missing. Check in system->configuration->advanced.
It’s either this or the checkout.xml layout file is missing.

Cheers,
Marius.

Magento Community
Magento Community

makens

Total Posts:  7

The checkout.xml file had been corrupted. I simply replaced it and voila!

Lets come in for a group hug everyone now my tears are happy ones!!!!

I’ve got about 6 hours to go and that’s probably enough time to redo most of my content blocks.

I will repent in my bad developer ways! Keep Calm and Carry On! wink Thank you!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Glad to hear you’re pulling it all together. Make sure you’ve spec’d out a good hosting provider with plenty of resources when you go live and you’ll do fine.

Full system backups include both your code and database, nightly DB backups and code backups prior to major changes allow serenity in running this beast.

Our developers, not understanding the sheer size of our business, had us on a 256MB VPS which got overwhelmed when we put in 9500 products. Three months in, we had all our category assignments just about done and the MySQL server coughed a hairball on category save due to inadequate resources. All categories and their product associations disappeared. Talk about anger and resentment…

The restore on the VPS failed because phpMyAdmin kept running out of memory. Due to not having SSH access, the only way to restore was denied…

Funny thing was by that time I was running a parallel dev server at work and could do everything we couldn’t do on the VPS. That really increased the frustration level as the VPS was the canonical site development server.

2008 was not a good year in a lot of ways. Been there, done that, and got the cruddy Tee shirt.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community