Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

A few questions before becoming a Magento user

tchernopuss

Total Posts:  3
Switzerland

Hi everyone,
I’m working on the web sites of a friend’s societies. He already had one with OSCommerce. He wanted the three other ones to be with OSCommerce too for different reasons, like not getting used to new admin pannels and using it with his comptability program. But as I have many problems forcing OSCommerce into doing what I want, I’ve been advised to turn to Magento. There are a few questions still…
- I’ve looked around a bit and read about importing from OSCommerce. Does it work well? I don’t want to redo the whole work on those?
- The multiple sites/stores functions… Do they work really separately? I mean as for the money and payments and shièèing and everything? Because in my case these are different societies and they have to get different money transfers and so on.
- Is there a lot of coding and complexities as in OSCommerce? I’m rather used to systems like Joomla, phpbb or Coppermine, I’ve got a bit of php knowledge and so on, but OSCommerce keeps being a stranger to me.

As for what I’ve read on this website, Magento looks really like something that could work greatly for me, it sounds fantastic. Just let me know if my doubts expressed above are reasons not to come to Magento…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tchernopuss

Total Posts:  3
Switzerland

A few other things I’d like to know…
If the sites are of different societies, are the orders and accounts separated?
If I have different domain names, could I direct each of the domain names on one of the sites?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community