Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Table rates simply does not work, I’ve wasted 4 hours here

BenScoobert

Total Posts:  12

I hate to post about this when there are so many other threads about it, but I’m getting nowhere.

I want to create a table rate. I hear excel causes issues so I edited in notepad, file uploads.....and then what? In green at the top it says the configuration has been saved (it says this whether it’s done in excel, notepad or csved).

Log on to the store and checkout and the table rate is not showing.

So please, can someone give me a sample CSV file that works or show me where I’m going wrong.

If any Magento developers/programmers are reading this then please note that this portion of the software with no feedback to what is going on is really poor. Visual confirmation that your file is accepted and read, displaying your shipping details and prices is all that is needed, we are flying blind here trying to add this table.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

BeetleJeremy

Total Posts:  24

Hello Ben,

What format are you saving the file in?

Also you need to disable all other shipping rates in the admin page. This needs to be done in System > Configuration > Shipping Methods for both Current Configuration Scopes (in top left corner). The Flat rate is what often people miss!

I wrote a blog post with a tool I created for making Magento Table Rates which should help you. In the blog post I’ve also got a sample Magento Table Rate CSV for you to download.

Let me know if this doesn’t solve the problem? Also what’s your shipping output cost at the moment?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BenScoobert

Well I’m baffled, thanks for your response by the way.

Your spreadsheet seems to be making the same output as I was using.

My tablerates.csv file contains the following:

Country,Region/State,"Zip/Postal Code","Weight (and above)","Shipping Price”
GBR,*,*,0,2.9
GBR,*,*,500,5.8
GBR,*,*,1000,7
GBR,*,*,5000,13

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

May be you can better use some commercial extension with free support and consultations, like Shipping Table Rates ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BenScoobert

I had considered a module.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/webshopapps-matrixrate-1-multiple-table-rates-extension-certified-bug-free.html

At the moment my web host is trying to work out a way to provide permissions for installation without leaving the site wide open to hacking.

For now I’d like to know why the table rate is not working before adding complexity.

Does my .CSV file content look right? If so the issue may be elsewhere but no clue as to where.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Have you tried the UK in the CSV?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BenScoobert

Tried UK GB GBR everything!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

But you are saying you used some paid extension, what the support team has answered you?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BenScoobert

Amasty - 17 November 2012 12:24 PM

But you are saying you used some paid extension, what the support team has answered you?

I didn’t.

You suggested I try a paid module, I said “I had considered a module.”

The issue here with the table rates is the default shipping module.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BeetleJeremy

Hello again Ben,

What operating system you using? If you used my excel Table Rate Creator then this should work. I\’d question the import functionality and how your file is being imported.

Try to open your CSV in notepad after making it in excel. Make sure it looks okay. If you are considering modules I\’d strongly recommend Matrix Shipping Rates. I tend to use this on most site we build and most importantly it\’s free. Although there are some limitations compared to Premium Version, it may be able to acheive what you need.

However this to me sounds like a larger issue. What error message comes up when you import it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BeetleJeremy

I thought i’d create one for you and see if it helped.

Let me know.

File Attachments
ben-csv2.txt  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 70)

Magento Community
Magento Community

BenScoobert

BeetleJeremy - 19 November 2012 12:38 AM

Hello again Ben,

What operating system you using? If you used my excel Table Rate Creator then this should work. I\’d question the import functionality and how your file is being imported.

Try to open your CSV in notepad after making it in excel. Make sure it looks okay. If you are considering modules I\’d strongly recommend Matrix Shipping Rates. I tend to use this on most site we build and most importantly it\’s free. Although there are some limitations compared to Premium Version, it may be able to acheive what you need.

However this to me sounds like a larger issue. What error message comes up when you import it?

Good afternoon Jeremy

Thanks for your response, I’ve actually had 2 weeks away from this.

Today I tried your csv file, again it is accepted by the site when I click “save config” but when I try to check out with an item which has a know weight I get
“ 3
Shipping Method

Sorry, no quotes are available for this order at this time.”

I got webshopapps matrix rates as you recommended, I tried your csv file and one I did myself as it has more columns, all were accepted with no errors but all brings the same error at checkout.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BenScoobert

To add, I’m on win7, tried with firefox and IE

Magento Community
Magento Community

BenScoobert

Here is how we solved it, I say we, a good friend did it for me, here is his email to me

What a huge pain in the ass… the memory’s are still fresh so I don’t want to talk about how I just lost 4-5 hours of my life and the number of different options you can try in a CSV file.

The shipping matrix is now working, though I did it by directly editing in the database.

You can export the CSV file in the admin, though I don’t know if editing it then re-importing it will work.

Basically don’t use Excel and only use Notepad, with the line break encoding to Linux. If you do try to edit via CSV, let me know and I’ll backup first!

P

really is no wonder I couldn’t do it

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community