Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why Magento use dispersion in file upload? 

kiatng
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  875
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

For example, the product images in the media folder are stored in folders by the first 2 letters of the image name. What is the advantage of creating 2 level subfolders?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hi there,

Magento was developed with the aim to work with big databases. Keeping your images in or folder or subfolder could cause problems, as even any FTP client has limitation on the amount of images reflected and if this limit is exceeded, you won’t be able to see those images.
Magento decided to develop the system of uploading images to prevent the mentioned difficulties. Besides, showing images from the folder where there are 100 images, it is more problematic than in case when in the folder there are 1 or 2 images.

Can you please specify why this logics of images placement bothers you? Do you face any issues with that? If yes, let me know, so I could possibly assist you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kiatng
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  875
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thanks for your answer. I didn’t know about the limitation. Here is more info on this issue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8238860/maximum-number-of-files-folders-on-linux

It looks like I need to add file dispersion in my module.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community